Chapter 7

Neil's pov

I stood there, stunned, too shocked to say anything. I kept gaping at the lady sitting in front of me, smiling to herself. I suddenly wished I had wasted a few minutes at the road instead of driving like a lunatic. At least it would have spared me the mortification I felt then standing there.

Miss Bose raised one eyebrow at me, expecting me to say something. I gulped and tried to get some words out, but couldn't. First of all, no one has ever taught me what to say to a lady whose car you damaged due to your recklessness, didn't even apologized, and unfortunately discovered later that she is your new boss, not to mention, at the very first day of your job. Secondly, my throat suddenly felt like a rain-less parched desert land devoid of any speaking ability. Only a low hum came out of my mouth, perplexing me. Never have I ever felt so speechless in my entire life so far, and it was disturbing for me accept that.
Miss Bose's lips twitched into a smirk, satisfied of my reaction. This irked me even more. Thankfully, Pamela decided to interject right at the moment, "Wait. You know each other already?", she raised an eyebrow at me. I shrugged. "You can say so", Miss Bose replied casually, and I was thankful that I didn't need to say anything. Pamela again raised her eyebrow at me, and I gestured her to let it be. She nodded and gestured me to explain everything later.

"Pamela! ", Miss Bose's commanding voice cut-off our silent conversation.

" Y-Yes, Ma'am? ", Pamela stuttered and turned her full attention to her -  our -  Boss.

" What happened to the files I asked you to deliver to the accountant's office? "

" M- Ma'am, I was going to deliver them only when I came across Mr. Das and I brought him here." Pamela was continuously wringing her hands while talking. She sure was nervous.

"Then go and deliver them at once! Don't stand around gawking, leave!"
M

iss Bose yelled at her. I genuinely felt sorry for Pamela, she was such a nice girl, she didn't deserve this treatment.

"Definitely, Ma'am, right away", she lowered her head and seemed extremely humiliated and pitiable. She gave me a small smile and left the room hurriedly. I felt bad knowing half of her misery was caused by me. My presence must have irked Miss Bose to the extreme and she took out all the anger at the poor girl. I mentally noted to apologize and thank Pamela later.

As the door closed behind Pamela, I turned towards my new "boss", ready to face the disaster.
Miss Bose was back to work. She turned her attention to the papers lying on the table and I wondered if I should leave too. I cleared my throat to gain her attention. I wanted to sort everything out by apologizing and end this matter here. To my amazement, she didn't even look at me and kept her focus on whatever she was doing. I grew restless and clasped my hands at my back. Taking advantage of her inattention, I took a thorough look at her.

At the road I didn't get the time to observe her properly so I watched her while she worked. Miss Bose seemed almost of my age, probably in her late 20's. Her eyes and face contour reflected her maturity, though her skin was too pale, and there were light dark circles under her eyes. She looked pretty, even though the reading glasses hid her large brown eyes. There were a few lines on her forehead due to the frown she wore on her face. There was no sign of grandeur, no complicated or beautiful hairstyle, no deep layers of make up, no jewellery, and yet she managed to emanate a superior kind of sophistication. A presence that crushed the person next to her into an inferior position.

Almost 10 minutes passed and I was growing restless with each passing minute. I knew this was being done deliberately by Miss Bose to irk me. Finally, unable to hold it any longer, I decided to speak, "Excuse me, Miss Bose.. —"
"– Ma'am for you, Mr. Das. Do not forget your position in this office ", she immediately cut me off and glared at me.
I felt humiliated, but knew she was right. She might be of my age or younger than me, but in this office, she was my boss and I was under her.

I swallowed my pride and started again," Ahem.. Yeah, Ma'am, I know our first encounter was not really pleasant at all, and I know that's entirely my fault..—"

"— of course it was your fault, Mr. Das, cut straight to the point. I do not have so much time to waste", she said in a bored manner.

If only you let me, I mused, irritated by her constant interruption . I smiled sweetly and went on, "Exactly, um.., I actually was in a hurry to not be late and in that process the accident happened and I am really sorry for it. I know I should have said that then at the right moment, but I swear I.. —"

"— Your apologies won't get you anywhere, Mr. Das. What you did was what you did, and you have lost the moment and opportunity to amend your actions. So stop mulling over it and get to work. I do not appreciate slacking employees in my office. I hope you get that into your brain, Mr. Das". She was oddly calm about the incident. But her calmness was ladened with a menacing air.

I tried again to clear myself off from her hit-list, "Ma'am, I am deeply regretful of what happened earlier today, and this is not because I am under you now, but it's because I gravely feel this way, please forgive me. If you say, I will pay off the amount to get the car repaired, but please forgive me.. —"

Again, I was interrupted in-between

"—Mr. Das, I think you didn't hear what I said. I told you I do not appreciate slaphappy people in my office, and I asked you to get to work. Will you comply me...", she handed me a brochure when I tried to say something, "... Now!".

Sighing, I turned away to leave, and when I reached at the door, heard her call me , " And Mr. Das, one thing please.. ", I turned towards her, "...remember one thing in your entire life — Karma is a sweet little bitch".
She smirked and waved her hand, dismissing me.

A. N : Hello, updated this after a long time.. Next chapter will also be updated late. I have exams next month and preparations have started already. Wish me luck!! :-)

Do not forget to vote and comment if you like the chapters. It will be much appreciated. I am not forcing anyone, it's your own will :-)