Chapter 24

Sonali's Pov

"Look at me..."...

My heart thump, and something inside tickled. It was a funny feeling, but I don't know why I felt this way.
Right, it's been a long time since I was close to any man like this, this is natural...

"....Look at me, Miss Bose, or you may trip and fall." His voice was gentle this time. He straightened himself back again.

I cleared my throat, "Uhhmm-mmhh-hmm, I was going to anyway..."
I finally looked at him. I realized I've never seen him up close. He was always handsome, but he looked very real this close. He had light stubble on his face, and another thing that I've never noticed before was that he really had quite a lot of moles oh his face and neck. His eyes were brown in color, a shade lighter than mine, I think. I was so close to him, I could see all dents and pores on his cheeks..He looked good.. He looked humane..

We twirled and twisted, moving from side to side. Swaying gently with him, it didn't feel awkward anymore. It felt comfortable with him which was strange, given, our dynamic with each other wasn't exactly lovely.
I looked at him, his eyes were already on mine. There was a sofy smile on his lips, and I felt my heart act up again..
What is happening !! Don't be like this please !

He swirled me by his arm, and pulled me back with a jerk. For a moment there, I lost my balance, and almost ended up falling, but he had kept a good firm hold on me. He kept me propped up, our faces just inches away from one another. I didn't even realize when the song had stopped... Neither did he.

The lights switched back on, almost blinding us.. and then we realized the other couples had gone back from the dance floor and only we two were left. I jerked away from him and his hands fell from my waist.
He cleared his throat.

"Umm..Thank you for being my dance partner, Miss Bose."

I couldn't look him in the eyes..this was embarrassing..
"Huh ? Oh, yeah, it's alright. You dance pretty well." I laughed awkwardly.

He smiled. He looked even better when he smiles, I noticed.

I was about to run off to the other direction, but stopped in my tracks as Uncle Robert suddenly approached us, clapping and woohooing at us, a big smile planted on his face.

"What a wonderful dance ! I tell you Sonali, I've never seen you dance like this with anyone, but you danced so well today", he then turned to Neil, "My boy Neil! You did the impossible ! You actually made this stone statue dance ? Bravo!" And then he laughed at his own joke. Neil played along with him going "HaHaHa" while looking at me.
I glared back. He shut his mouth.

He talked about this and that for a while to both of us, after which he suddenly frowned,
"Say, Sonali, I haven't seen Pamela for a while now, do you happen to know where she's gone ? Did you scold the poor girl again and sent her home or something ? Because if you did, I'll really have to scold you now!"

That's when I realized I haven't seen Pamela since the time I entered the party. I did see her enter with Neil, I arrived shortly after, I was waiting for Manohar to park the car when I saw them. I turned to Neil,

"Where's Pamela ?"

He looked as confused. "I have no idea. She was here just before you arrive. She said she's going to grab something to drink and then I don't know where she went off to, I got engaged here with you..." He looked at me sheepishly.