Chapter 15 (part 2)

AN: This is the continuation of the previous chapter and unfolds from where it was left off...Enjoy !

Matron Monica was very happy to see me. She pulled me into a hug, which I didn't quite mind, and asked me to sit. I knew Matron Monica for past 5 years or so, and the aged lady loved me like a daughter. She requested for two cups of tea to be brought, and we discussed a few matters about the orphanage and the children over the tea. Then we skipped to more casual topics.

"It's good that you came to visit the children Sona, it's been a while since you last visited them, they were getting anxious."

I laughed, "I was really busy for a while Matron. But I'm fortunate to have a boss like Mr. Robert. You know, Robert uncle is such a  nice person, he appointed another assistant for me, so that my workload decreases. He gets concerned about my health often."

"Yes, he indeed is a nice man. I've never seen a rich man so humble and generous. The donations he offers to the orphanage regularly makes us progress smoothly. Truth be told Sona, if you and Mr.Robert would not have been here, I don't know if we could improve the life of so many innocent children... All thanks to you, the children are happy and protected in the shelter.."

I interrupted her immediately, "Never say thanks Matron. We have done nothing great. It is our responsibility as a member of a society to help those who needs us. And anyways, these kids are the closest thing to family that I have, how can I not love them and care for them ? They deserve love Matron, they deserve beautiful life, beautiful future, and only we,the well-to-do members of the society can help them." I smiled.

But Matron wasn't smiling. She hesitantly said, "If you don't mind Sona, can I say something?"

Curious, I replied, "Yes, sure Matron, what is it ?"

She sighed and rose from her seat, "Not here, come let's walk and talk."

We went around the garden where the children were now sitting with their caretakers, while Bina narrated what she had learned in school to them. We did not join them, and instead stayed at a distance near the balcony railings. I leaned my back on them and turned towards Matron Monica.

"You wanted to say something ?" I reminded her, curiosity clear in my voice.

"Yes. Look I know you'll be quite mad at me Sona, but as your well-wisher I would like to advise you something." She put a hand at my arm and sympathetically looked at me. I looked on, confused. She continued, "I know the reason why you have enclosed yourself in the imaginary walls you built yourself Sona, and I understand your anguish behind it. But Sona, so many years have passed, don't you think it's time to break away those walls? Why I say this is because whenever I see you with the kids, I feel like you're a completely different person. But just when you step out of this threshold, you become the same woman whom everyone fears and loathes. Why do you do this? Why pretend to be a person you are not ? Why collect so much hate, so much negativity you don't deserve? Can't you just forget everything and move on in life ? Can't you?"

She started to say more, but stopped when I raised a palm, "You know Matron, I do not like talking about this. Please do not bring this up, not now, not ever."

She smiled softly, "I know Sona. And I also know you may probably hate me for this, but I would like to advise you to end everything and move on in life. You and I very well know these children and the inhabitants of this orphanage are not your only family, despite how much you ignore this topic. You have a family that awaits your return, a good job and a nice boss who helps you in every sphere of life. You have a privileged life Sona, you just need to acknowledge that and forget everything that happened in the past. You can't just ruin everything with your fake demeanour that you show to the world."

I smiled bitterly and turned to the direction of the children. They had started playing games.
"Matron Monica you know everything about my life. You once sheltered me when I had nowhere to go, had nothing to do; you are like a mother to me. There's no way I can be mad at you, your words, no matter how much I  disagree with, are caring and loving. You mean well for me. But what you say is impossible. You ask me to move on.... Moving on is possible when you get a sense of closure from your past ; well, I never got one. My past has not and cannot be closed Matron, and hence I cannot 'move on'. And the privilege, you say, is what I have earned with my own blood and sweat ; my privilege from birth I have denounced long ago. I lead my life according to my own way Matron, and may continue to do so until I see a suitable reason to change it."

Matron sighed, rubbed my back and said nothing. We stood there for a few seconds in complete silence, and without any eye contact. With a parting "May God bless you and send a Messiah to fill your life with colours again", she departed into the garden. Although a little irritated by her blessing, I said nothing and kept on looking towards the garden.

I stood there for a few seconds, watching the happy little children, the beautiful greenery that surrounded them, and the smiling face of Matron Monica watching me, when suddenly a screeching sound of a bike tire broke into my reverie. I glanced around, searching for the noise, but the vines and flowers surrounding the gate obstructed the view.

From afar, a vague image of a bike came into view, which seemed very familiar, and the figure that rode down out of it, suspiciously acquainted. Unbidden, a face flashed through my head, and scoffing I forced it out of my head No! It can't be him! A man like him, and here? Impossible!
I looked on, carefully taking in all the details when the figure moved towards the playing children and all of them went in to hug him.

When they all moved to a clearer vision range, I realised, to my horror, that the oddly familiar person was indeed the one I was thinking of. My mind churned with all the possible images that could happen when he sees me, but my mouth only let out a gasp and a whisper, "It's him! Oh Shit, it's Neil !"

A.N: Hello guys, hope you enjoy the chapter, I tried my best to provide a glimpse of Sona's history without disclosing the plot much. Are you surprised? Sad? Confused? Let me know in the comments section and if you like the chapter don't forget to vote. This chapter may be pretty boring to some, but I promise the next few chapters will be interesting. Keep reading! Bye bye!