Chapter 2

I was concentrating on a file when the shrill ringtone of my phone suddenly jolted me from my work. I realized that it was ringing for quite sometime. I picked up the phone and checked the caller ID. Not again! It was Robin Nandy, the C.F.O of this company and my boss. He is the son of Robert Nandy, the owner and C.E.O of this company "Nutressa Group Pvt. Ltd." He is the boss of every one of us. I picked up the phone after much reluctance. Robin's annoyingly loud voice pierced my ear, "I am calling you for the last fifteen minutes! Where are you Miss Sonali Bose?"

I tried to maintain my cool as I replied, "I am right here at my office Sir, I did not pay attention to the call as I was busy working, Sir."

"Then from next time you better pay attention to my calls, Miss Bose. I don't like waiting." He was furious, his voice did not hide his rage. If there was one thing which could piss Robin off, then it was lack of attention towards him. He was an arrogant, rich spoilt man, who was habituated with people showering him with all their attentions.

"Yes Sir, I'll try next time."  If his tone was of rage, mine was of complete indifference. Another thing about Robin, if he was scared of anything in the world, it was my anger. He understood immediately that I can get really angry if he continues to shout on me.

I smiled smugly as I heard his tone change from loud to whispering, "Oh, uhm.. Yeah, you better. I, actually, I called you to remind you that your assistant will be joining the office from tomorrow. And since he will be joining tomorrow, I think.. it will be best if you send Pamela to my office.. so that I can explain to her the details and all.. " Robin somehow turns meek whenever he asks for something from me. It was funny how being my boss, he was asking permission from me.

"I'm sorry, Sir. Pamela is currently very busy on a file work I assigned to her. It may take almost three more hours to finish. Why don't you send Vicky instead? It will save time." I lied to him. Robin was a total pervert. Previously when I used to work as his secretary, that is before my promotions, he had eyes on me too. But my cold glares and harsh words were enough to tell him off. I doubt any woman in this office was spared from his perverted ways. Currently Pamela has seemed to catch his eyes and the fact that she was my secretary was the only one reason he wasn't able to make a move on her yet. Every time he happened to be alone with her, I would arrive at the scene and take her away with me. Usually Robin's interest wears off within few weeks or so, but somehow he still possesses an interest on Pamela.

"Oh, alright. I'll send Vicky then. But it would have been better if Pamela could come. "

" Sorry..."  but no sorry..

"Okay, I'll see you later then. Goodbye Miss Bose." He sounded disappointed and hesitant.

"Goodbye, Sir." I sounded triumphant and indifferent.

I cut the call and glanced at my caller list. Holy Cow! Robin really has been calling for fifteen minutes. Trust him when he gets determined on a girl. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Robin Nandy really isn't going to back off this time. He really must have found her intriguing. And truth be told, she was. Pamela was the most beautiful woman in this office building. She has a slim, slender body, and young, healthy skin. Her straight brown hair covered her back entirely. Though she was almost 25-26, she looked like a college student of 19. She possesses each and every trait that is rare and attractive. She has blue eyes and dimples form in her cheeks when she smiles. Not only her looks but her personality is also attractive to men. She is sweet, lively, gentle girl, who turns nervous at small little things.

From personal experiences, I can say Pamela is a meek and innocent woman, who doesn't understand the complications of human life. She was free-spirited and yet somehow all these irritated me.  Irritated me because,  because I don't know,  she somehow represented me, the old me, the one I killed years ago...

I pushed away my thoughts and remembered the work I gave her. I glanced at my watch. It was past the time I gave her. I rang the bell that was connected to Pamela's cabin, indicating her to come to my office. As if sensing what I wanted to ask for, she came running into my office with the file in hand. She was panting heavily when she entered my office, completely forgetting to knock.
I waited until she regained her breath, "You should rather knock than  barge into someone's room, Miss Sen. You see, I don't quite appreciate manner less people."

She immediately understood her mistake and also that I was greatly annoyed, as I seldom addressed her by her last name. She stood up straighter and apologized. I waved her off.

"Did you bring the file?" She nodded and handed it to me. I checked the file and deliberately took a little longer time as I tried to think of ways in which I could show my annoyance. "You should have brought the file half an hour ago. I gave you a deadline of one and a half hours , you took two hours..", I shot a glare at her.

"But Ma'am you didn't ask for it so I thought... "

"You did not fulfill your punishment sincerely Pamela, no need to give excuses. So..." I took out another file, ".. complete this file before leaving."

The look of shock and tiredness crossed all over her face. I smirked internally. Yeah, take this, you stupid, meek, innocent girl... It's your punishment Pamela, punishment for reminding me of myself, reminding me of the past...

Her eyes lingered for a moment at the file on my hand that I extended towards her. Then those blue eyes fixed themselves on me, pleading me to have mercy. I shot another hard glare at her in return.

"Come on! Take it!"

"But my work hours are over Ma'am. I won't be able to find a taxi to go home by the time I finish the work. "

"That's not my concern. There are piles of file left to finish and we don't have much time left to submit them. And besides, the newly recruited assistant will be joining us from tomorrow, that means you won't have to work overtime from tomorrow."

"But Ma'am how will I go home after I finish work?" She looked as if on the verge of crying. I sighed.

"My driver will drop you home. Now go and finish the file. Anyways, it was your fault in the first place. If you didn't commit the errors you could have save time.... "

She was staring at me, her jaw dropped. Again her eyes were scrutinizing mine, as she was doing before, this afternoon. I gave her a hard look.

"Do you have anything else to say, Miss Sen?" I scowled at her even though I knew she won't have anything to say after me addressing her as Miss Sen again.

"Umm.. No, Ma'am, not anything else Ma'am."

"Then don't waste your time gawking. Leave!"

She nodded and ran back to her cabin immediately. I realized it was the second time in the day I allowed myself to be soft again.

I pushed the thought aside, and remembered the amount of work left. I hoped that the pressure of the work may dwindle with the arrival of the new assistant. I also hoped that I do not make the same mistakes with him as I do with Pamela.

A. N : There's nothing to say in the author's note today since I don't have any reader. Except one, of course, but that's my friend. :-P