Chapter 18

Sonali's POV

I have never seen him like this before. The Neil Sen I knew was lively, flirty and goofy. This gloomy, serious Neil Sen took me unarmed. On one hand, I wondered why he shared something so intimate, scarring incident of his life with me. On the other hand, I felt a warm feeling in my chest, and an overwhelming urge to tell him everything about me. To share a burden, feels so good, but to put the burden on someone else takes a lot. A rush of this feeling tempted me to tell him everything about my life. But I couldn't. Opening to someone who was no better than a stranger didn't seem such a good idea. But to respect what he shared with me, I needed to share a part of me too, and so I did,

"I used to live here, if you must know." Words rushed out of my mouth, but I didn't look at him.

"What !?" He was probably in shock, it took him some time to register what I said, "You lived here ? In this orphanage ?"

"Yes". I sighed, and finally looked at him, "for five years, I stayed here."

I don't know what he was thinking. He was absolutely silent for a minute or two.

"And that's why you know everyone here ? That's why you pay donations to this orphanage ?"

"Yes, you can say so." I stared ahead. This was a part which I almost never showed to anyone. This is me...the real me...

He seemed surprised. I didn't wonder why. For a long time we sat in silence. The silence didn't feel awkward, it felt real, it felt peaceful. He suddenly said, "I'm sorry. For everything you went through." He looked straight at my eyes. I felt a sudden pang on my chest. Then we looked away. Silence stretched some more..

When we became sober and normal, I got up. I moved forward but was suddenly stopped by his voice,
"So...."
I turned towards him.
"So ?"
" So basically you are a softy by heart, just pretending to be a meany so that you don't lose your power and respect of your subordinates..." He had a cheeky grin, the type I hated on that face of his...

"Whoa, hold on.. who said these things to you, I certainly didn't."

" No, but that's what I'm gonna spread all over the office tomorrow. You are a very very soft person who's just trying to be mean to maintain her power and dominion. After this rumour, nobody will fear you, or respect you anymore. I'll stand aside and watch your power crumble with my one little strategy." He laughed and contently smirked at me.

I burned with fury. This is the reason why I never open up to anybody ! Why, oh why did I have to tell him the secret ? Why he had to cross paths with me at this orphanage, the only place I ever let my guard down !?

"I shared a most intimate secret with you with so much trust, and you, you..." I couldn't find a word worthy of the anger I exhumed.

"I didn't ask you to share. And I'm not telling anyone about the part that you stayed here. That was a secret. You, visiting the orphanage for the benevolence of the kids, is not a big secret. At least it won't be, when I tell this at the office tomorrow." He laughed the most malicious laugh one could ever hear. I watched in horror.
I regretted telling him anything. I was good the way I was. Too much sentiment hurts, proved again.

I regained my composure.
"Look if you are angry because of the past incidences, I'll apologize. But please, don't spread any unnecessary rumours about me in the office. I have a reputation there." I tried to reason with him.

He still had that cheeky grin on his face. "Of course you'll apologize. But that's not what I want from you. Apologies don't fix things. You have to do something else to change my mind."

"What do you mean? What else do you want ?" Internally I was scared what he'd ask me to do. But I did not let him feel it.

"I have a condition – simple, but important. And you do not have the choice to say no, you have to agree, or else your little secret will be revealed to everyone at the office tomorrow, and you won't be able to do anything about it."
I grind my teeth but stayed quiet. He went on, "My wish is that the two weeks you made me miserable, you will have to return them. Two weeks of freedom and happiness is what I want. That is, for the next two weeks, no work for me and Pamela. The poor girl has suffered a lot too. No work for us for two weeks straight. We would attend the office as a formality, but all the work will be done by you. Two weeks of no bossing around, no yelling at us, no mistreatment. Now tell me, do you agree to my condition ?" He looked satisfied with himself while I burned in fury internally.

I thought a lot. Come on, it's just two weeks. He only asks for two weeks of relaxation, that's all. You can grant him that ! It's not such a big deal.

I glanced at his smug face, and begrudgingly replied, "Okay, I agree. But you have to promise me you won't reveal a word of what you saw to anyone."

His smile broadened from ear to ear. He nodded and gestured a lip-closed motion, indicating he won't reveal a word. I huffed and moved onwards towards the kids.

Neil's Pov

I watched as she scuttled away, huffing and fuming. Finally ! Finally I got some control over Miss Bossy Bose ! Now slowly but surely, I'll show her that her demeanor may scare everybody else, but not me.
I only threatened to reveal such juicy gossip only to make her submit to my whims, I had no actual intention of revealing anything to anyone. My only advantage in this façade was that, she didn't trust me enough ! Ha! Thank God for making us enemies first.

I watched as she once glanced at me, and then jerked her head towards the kids. The kids started calling me towards them. They wanted to play. I went to them.

They all gathered around Miss Bose and pulled her by her hand. She resisted for some time, then gave in. The kids jumped happily, pulled her down and blindfolded her. The game was simple, she would chase all of us blindfolded while we make sound around her and tease her, and the one getting touched will be the next one to be blindfolded.

The game started and we all were enjoying. Just seeing the kids laugh and play, it made me remember my childhood days with Akash and Pakhi. If only she was here....
I stopped in my tracks and watched as Miss Bose kept on playing with the kids. Her hair was let down, which bounced around as she moved, she was wearing casuals, something I had never seen her wear before. She looked simple, and calm. She was laughing and smiling, and with the arms flailed out in front of her, she almost seemed carefree. I never noticed her like this ever before. She never laughed, and the sound of her laughter made me warm inside. She... she looked... beautiful ! I didn't notice I had actually uttered the word.

While I was lost in thoughts, Miss Bose, with her arms straight out and searching, accidentally hit me and we both ended up being at each other's arms. She removed the blindfold from her eyes as the kids cheered loudly at the background. For a split second, I was lost in those big brown eyes. But then, she jerked away and I regained my thoughts. Miss Bose hurried away inside while I stood there stupidly amidst the cheering kids.

What the hell just happened to me ?

******************

A.N – Hello there ! Thank you everyone who is loving and supporting 'The Female Boss' so much, even though I suck at updating. You guys are so patient and so supporting, I feel blessed.
Do let me know how you feel about the chapter and if you like it, don't forget to click the star button to like the chapter !

P.s– To anyone wondering how to read the main character's name –

Sonali Bose - So-nah-lee  Bow-s
Niladri (Neil) Sen - Nee-lad-ree Sane

That's all for today..Thank you !