Chapter 8

Sonali's Pov

I parked the car in the garage and got out, struggling to remain on my feet. My body felt heavy and I struggled to gain balance by leaning myself to the side of the car. Just then my eyes fell on the scratch on the car and I recalled the incidents of the day. A sudden bolt of pain distracted me from the memory. I clutched my head with one hand and supported myself with the other. As I went in through the gate, the security guard of the apartment rushed to my aid.

"Madam, shall I take you to your floor?" He eyed me with concern. I waved him off.

"No, thank you, I am alright, I can manage on my own. Please ring through the intercom and inform Bina that I am here." I knew I cannot wait long for the door to open with this pounding headache.

The guard nodded and pulled the intercom. I silently dragged myself to the nearest elevator and got into it. Besides me, there were three other people, who didn't even glance in my direction. Not that I minded though, I liked the solitude and peacefulness of this apartment. People here minded their own business, and I believe most of the people here are completely anti-social. Fights and arguments were alien things here and festivities and occasions were only celebrated by the elderly people. The younger population who stayed alone like me were too busy to celebrate their lives. All in all, this was the ideal place for anyone who loves solitude and peace.

The elevator stopped at 6th floor and I stumbled out. No one noticed though. I scurried my way to my flat, tumbling and huffing as the pain grew worse. I breathed in relief as I saw Bina waiting with the door ajar, anxiety clear on her face.

"Didi, what happened? Are you alright?" She went out to help me in.

"I am fine. I just need my medicines. And don't talk, please." I exhaled slowly as I entered my flat. All the talking was worsening the pain.

Thankfully Bina didn't say anything further and rushed to my bedroom to get the medicines. I plopped down on the couch, my head felt as if bursting into millions of pieces. A groan escaped my mouth as I lied down on the couch. Hot tears trailed down my cheeks but I did nothing to prevent them. My doctor had told me that the tears are the product of my migraine attacks. Though the attacks are due to stress and over-work and not extremely serious, he instructed me to stay cautioned and take regular break from work. Of course I didn't listen.

Bina brought my medicines and handed me a glass of water. With shaking hands, I put the pill in my mouth and gulped it down with water. After leaning for ten minutes more, I felt a little stable. Without a word, I stretched out my hands and Bina pulled me and supported me by her shoulders and moved me towards my bedroom. It was nothing new. Bina was used to me coming home with my headaches. Though she disapproved of me neglecting the doctor's warnings, she seldom said anything.

As I quietly lied down on my bed, Bina switched off the lights, and sat down at the foot of the bed, near my legs. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. But sleep seemed to somehow escape me as I lied there, mulling over the day's incidents. If my migraine haven't given me a surprise visit, I would have been pacing my room by now with utter frustration and contemplation. One part of me wanted revenge on that new guy, and another tiny part of me, that I didn't know still existed, wanted to forget the matter and bury the hatchet.
No way was anyone getting over so easily after messing with me! So, I buried the tiny peace-loving part of me instead.

In my contemplation of the revenge plan,my migraine somehow vanished. I opened my eyes and noticed Bina sitting on the same spot, still as a statue. I moved myself in a sitting position, and she too rose to her feet and quickly switched on the lights. I blinked at the sudden brightness and saw her standing beside me. I noticed then a piece of now dried cloth on my forehead. She must have placed the wet cloth on my head while I laid there. I sighed and motioned her to sit next to me. She looked questioningly at me but obliged anyway.