( 5 )

~ astraia
[ 8:26 PM ]

We arrive at a large building downtown, far from the outskirts where Levi lives. He had dressed me in a white silk, mermaid dress that slightly pooled on the ground even with these silver heels on and a silver necklace that hung beneath my bandages. Levi speaks firmly while pulling his key from the ignition. "I brought you along because I didn't need you leaving the house while I was away. But this isn't a leisure event, Astraia, this is for work. So I expect you to be on your best behavior tonight." He looks over at me from the driver's side, "That means no crying, whining, no making any type of scene. Do you understand me?"

I nod my head and he smiles a little, "Good. Let's go."

We get out of his Lexus and walk across to the sidewalk and building. For some reason, Levi hadn't let valet take his car, especially since it was obvious that he could afford it. When we reach the front double-doors, Levi takes me by the waist and pulls me closer to his side before one of the two bouncers greet him. Without even looking at the clipboard in his hand, he greets Levi with a smile and handshake, creating polite small talk before opening the doors to let us in.

I'm astonished by the décor of the large building. The carpets are velvet red and the walls are carved gold, like a Victorian castle of some sort. The ceilings are high and painted with Renaissance-esque art, and several small golden chandeliers hang around the grand one that's in the middle hanging directly above the ballroom. Orchestra music plays and slightly echoes against the walls as most people here are dressed in their finest and servers pass through the crowds serving drinks and finger foods on trays. I've never been in a place like this nor around people of this stature; the anxiety was surely getting the best of me, especially knowing I wore no makeup, my outfit was not nearly on any of their levels, and I had blatant bandages around my neck. And it didn't help how popular Levi was.

Left and right, both Levi and I were receiving looks and stares, both different kinds though. Most people looked at my bandages first while people looked at Levi with excitement and awe. He only smiled and acknowledged the people we passed with nods before a few of them decide to approach us. We halt while Levi picks up a flute glass from a passing server and two couples stop in front of us. "If it isn't Levi Just Levi." One of the men greet while I notice the two ladies on their arms stare at him like he's a piece of meat. Levi greets him back, "And if it isn't the Mando brothers. It's been too long."

"Because you're always under a rock." The other man chuckles as Levi takes a sip of his bubbling gold drink, pointing at him with his index finger after her swallows. "I'm always working." Levi corrects with another flashy smile before one of the brothers glances over at me. His eyebrow raises curiously, "And who is this? You never bring a date to these things."

"Whenever the hell you do show up to these things." The other brother adds with a smile. Levi softly chuckles before answering them. "This is Astraia." He removes his hand from my waist to raise up to my chin, grabbing it gently and making me look up at him, "Isn't she the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?"

Despite his words, all I saw when I looked into his grey eyes were the dark ones that wrapped that wire around my neck and nearly choked me to death in his basement. "What happened to your neck?" One of the women asks bluntly, and Levi releases my face and looks back at her.

"She just had a cervical fusion surgery after a car accident." He lies, and all four of their faces droop into their condolences as if I was a wounded puppy. Levi frowns down at me with faux sympathy as well. "I know... it was so scary, but luckily, all went well. She should get her voice back soon," He claims before taking a deep breath and nodding his head, "She's been so depressed lately, I figured she should get out the house again."