( 8 )

~ astraia
[ 10:32 AM ]

I head downstairs after taking a shower and getting dressed in my room. I had fallen asleep in my own bed last night after being rewarded, as Levi liked to call it. It was the late morning, so I was expecting to see Levi already in the kitchen cooking or finishing a hefty breakfast like usual, but to my surprise he's not there.

I wrap my arms around myself from the how chilly it was downstairs as I peek around to see the living room also empty. I glimpse pass the staircase to the back of the house again, not even second thinking about making my way back there.

I walk across to the couch and plop down, turning on the TV sitting on a stand in the corner. I scan the channels until stopping at the news when I see another familiar face on it. It was the other brother from the gala Levi and I attended. It's been about two weeks since that night in the basement, and that was all I could think about as the other brother stood at a press conference, in front of a small crowd of reporters and beside I suppose people of the company they co-owned.

His name was Axel according to the headline, and he looked pissed as he gripped onto the podium on both sides and talked to the crowd in front of him. I felt my body start to shiver as chills ran over my body from his words. He spoke with clear anger in his voice, but I could tell he was trying to contain it.

"My brother would never simply abandon his responsibilities here at Mando, and I can assure you that when he returns, everything will be straightened out again." He explains before someone in the crowd in front of him speaks up.

"So are you insinuating that he is not officially a missing persons yet after two weeks?"

I hear footsteps come from down the stairs, but I don't turn to look as the brother answers the reporter, trying to chuckle it off, "I still wholeheartedly believe he's taking one of his annual mystery vacations, honestly."

"But aren't you in the process of merging your pharmaceuticals with Denver Incorporated?!" "Why would he suddenly disappear during such a monumental deal for your company?!" The reporters yell up at him as I feel Levi's dominant presence shadow over me from behind. I freeze under his warm hands as he stands behind the couch and brings them down onto my neck, rubbing his thumbs gently over my skin and my jawline.

"What are you watching, Little Angel?" He asks, and I don't reply as I let him listen and watch the conference for himself. After a moment he laughs richly, and I try not to flinch under him. "Oh man, he's a fucking idiot." He leans down to my side where I can see his big flashy smile in my peripheral vision, "They still haven't found the body."

His words makes my heart drop into my stomach, as if he was just driving the knife deeper into me, confirming that that night really happened, that this wasn't just some sick nightmare, that this was real... that I killed someone.

"Hey, what's the long face for, Angel?" He pulls my chin to the side so I can look him in his gray eyes. He smiles softer this time; it's not mischievous like before, it's meant to be reassuring and comforting, "I told you I took care of it."

I force myself to nod, and he leans up while finally removing his hands as he walks back to the kitchen, "So what do you wanna eat?"

I only look back at the TV with worry, failing to answer him. They were looking for Austin Mando — the man that I killed.

[ 12:21 PM ]