( 17 )

~ levi
[ 4:12 AM ]

There are two guards standing on either sides of the large set of double doors, both reaching for each of its rounded knobs to open for me as I approach. When I walk into the office, I see the large wooden desk across the room occupied by two half-naked women and the man I was here for, sitting in his rolling chair with one in front of him on her knees and the other behind him with her arms wrapped around his shoulders.

"Ah, Levi. What brings you in?"

I cross my arms over my chest as the doors behind me close. I was reluctant to say the words, but I was already here. And I'd thought it through. Hell, it was all I could think about after the break-in and what I learned from the private investigator.

"I need a favor."

Callaghan's bushy, yet oddly neat eyebrow arches while he turns his head towards me but keeps his body to the side so the woman could keep at it. "I thought you said you'd never ask me for another favor?" He smiles.

"I wouldn't be asking if I didn't need it." I respond, clearly irritated by his taunting, "I can't do it myself."

"Do what?" His tone drops into monotone, the same tone he makes when he's making a deal, when he's doing business to let everyone know he's serious.

I reach into my jacket pocket and pull out a printed photo of Axel Mando, taking a few steps forward to toss it onto his desk then stepping back again because I didn't want to accidentally catch a glimpse of his dick.

"Axel Mando. I need you to take care of him, I don't care how you do it." I explain.

He reaches for the 5x5, observing it for a few seconds before replying, "Isn't that what I hire you and those idiots for? Why can't you do it yourself?"

"Because he thinks I had something to do with a target. If I get caught, you lose your best guard dog."

His eyes flick up to mine again from my words. His expression is not happy, there's not even a glint of amusement on his face anymore. He snaps his fingers, "Out."

Instantly, the two unfazed women suddenly become alert and move away from him, grabbing their scattered clothes from the floors before scurrying pass me and out of his office.

Callaghan fixes his attire as he turns to face me completely in his chair, brushing the white stripe in his hair back out of his face with his hand before his fingers interlock and rest back down on the surface of his desk. His voice lowers, "The fuck do you mean, if you get caught?"

When I don't respond, he continues, "You don't get caught, maybe Franco, but you? No, you're Levi fucking No Name, you don't slip up."

"I know I don't-"

"THEN WHAT DO YOU MEAN IF YOU GET CAUGHT?"

I look down at the ground, almost feeling like a child how I was being scolded and consciously accepting it. I know I slipped up, testing Astraia that night. Actually, I fucked up bringing her into my world by telling her the truth at all. But it wasn't anything that I was willing to take back now.

"Will you just do it?" I ask back lowly, "I don't ask questions when you sick me on targets-"

"That's because it's your fucking job." Callaghan growls with pure anger in his voice. He inhales deeply and brushes his hand over his face to pinch the bridge of his nose before reaching for the photo again, "Why can't you get one of the others to snag him?"

"I need you to buy out his company."

"Excuse me?"

"You can use the excuse of his grieving and merging to take it over. The only reason they're partnering with Denver Incorporated anyway is because they owe debts."