TWENTY-EIGHT

Somehow, Beau convinced me to wait a minute before going after Madie

Somehow, Beau convinced me to wait a minute before going after Madie. And by convinced, I mean he yanked me down by my tuxedo jacket, spewing some shit about giving her a minute.

It was one of the longest goddamn minutes of my life. Especially with Collins and Beau flirting up a weird storm next to me, which had so far consisted of Collins telling Beau that he had Golden Retriever energy and Beau pretending to be upset about it.

I admittedly laughed at that. Dude loved dogs. He was eating that shit up.

And then Beau said, "I saw Madie come out of the bathroom. I thought she'd be back by now."

This time when I shot out of my seat, Beau didn't stop me.

Far too many scenarios flew through my head in the forty-five seconds it took me to find her. I saw my dad's face and then Quinton's and then finally some random fucking redhead who was chatting her up in the corner.

I'd already checked into the hotel room I reserved, and the urge to drag Madie up there was so fucking real. I wanted to lock us in together so she'd just listen to me. And shit, I was so done watching other guys hit on her.

But I was also determined to solve this without becoming even more of an asshole. Madie Lenertz deserved a gentleman.

So I strode over—as calmly as I could—and asked her to dance with me. And when she took my hand, fuck, my heart soared.

Madie allowed me to lead her onto the dance floor. And then I spun around, wrapped my arm behind her back, and pulled her close. Madie gasped a little as I tugged her into me, and that expelled breath hit my skin, instantly alerting my body to her nearness.

"Madie," I murmured, trying desperately to control my hand as it settled just above the curve of her ass. Especially considering the shivers I felt coursing through her beneath my fingers. God, she felt good.

Madie's body melted against mine automatically, and she tucked her head into the crook of my neck. I tilted my head down to whisper in her ear. "I'm so sorry, baby."

When she didn't say anything, choosing instead to silently sway with me to the soft music, I added, "There's absolutely nothing going on between Collins and me."

There was another long pause before she said, "Why didn't you tell me? We talk every night." The words were quiet but firm. And I had this feeling that if we were alone right now, she'd be letting me have it. She'd be letting me feel her fire.

But that's all I've ever really wanted. So I couldn't complain.

"I don't know. I wasn't trying to hide anything, baby. Honestly, I just didn't think about it. I prefer to listen to your stories about college with Beau and Nessa than talk about my shitty life in Fresno." I dared to lightly kiss the top of her head. She didn't pull away, and I muttered, "I fucked up by not telling you. I fucked up by not thinking about how it would make you feel to bring her with."