FORTY-EIGHT

When my fifth call to Bren went to voicemail, I began to panic

When I realized I didn't have Caroline's number saved, I barely withheld a scream.

When the Fresno PD put me on hold, my knees buckled.

"How?" I cried. "How does Luke even know about the cops?"

I screamed the words at Brodie because he seemed to have all the answers. But he only shook his head, and I gritted my teeth so hard that pain shot through my jaw.

"I honestly don't know." Brodie sighed. "My mom complains that he spends a lot of time out of town on business trips. Maybe he's—"

"Business trips? There's no way he's actually doing any legal kind of business."

"Yeah, I realize that now. I doubt he has a job at all. My mom pays for everything, I swear. This guy's basically been freeloading by living at our place." Brodie paused, considering his words. "Well, her place. I don't live there anymore."

For some people, home was always the place they grew up. Even after moving out. And then there were the others—others like me. When I moved out, I moved out. I didn't really consider South Lake Tahoe to be home anymore.

But Brodie had a look on his face that told me he might still consider his mom's place to be home if it weren't for Luke Hadaway.

"Where are you from?" I asked, wondering where Bren's dad had been crashing.

"Gray and I are from Modesto." I checked over at Grayson, who gave a brief nod at Brodie's response. "That's where my mom still lives," he added.

Barely over an hour from Fresno. From Bren.

Fuck, Bren. I called him again and swore when he didn't pick up. Each time the phone rang into my ear, it sent my brain spiraling further down a hole where all I could picture was Bren on the other end of a gun. Again.

The only thing that kept me together was knowing Bren wouldn't give up like he had that night in the bar. He would fight—for him and us.

But I had to fight, too.

Unable to stand in the dorm hallway any longer while Grayson and Brodie watched me inch toward a breakdown, I ducked back into my room and reemerged seconds later with my purse.

"I need to get to Fresno."

"Do you need a ride?" Grayson offered. He looked ready to escape the awkward silence that stretched between him and Brodie. "I can drive."

I nearly accepted. But after a second thought, I shook my head. "Can you actually wait here and fill Nessa in when she gets back from her lecture? If Luke hates me as much as you say..." I glanced at Brodie. "I'm just nervous leaving her here alone. Stay with Nessa, maybe? Even if she, you know, throws a fit."