THIRTY-EIGHT

Madie Lenertz never ceased to surprise

After telling her about my plan to work with the cops, Madie stared at me for a long moment. I wasn't sure what she was looking for, and I wasn't sure if she found it. But she drew her lip into her mouth, worrying it while her eyes scanned my face.

Finally, she whispered that she didn't like it. She didn't like thinking about everything that could go wrong. She'd seen a gun pointed at me before, and she didn't want to imagine it happening again. Madie begged for me to find a different way to do it, even drawing in a deep breath and saying that she'd wait longer for me to come back if it meant dropping this idea.

But she didn't argue.

I'd told her that I didn't want to argue about it; I just didn't think that she'd listen.

I was expecting a storm, and all I got was a sad look—like a grey day with clouds that were about to rain on you.

It was the same the next morning when I brought her back to her dorm room.

Madie wore my sweats and tennies I'd packed so that she wouldn't have to put on her gala outfit again. Besides needing to pull the laces really tight so the shoes wouldn't fall off, the fit looked like it was made for her. I was left wearing my tux, but that was fine.

We walked into the building, hand in hand. Memories flooded back as we strode through the hallways, and I pushed them away. Some were good; some were bad. But I just didn't have the mental capacity at the moment.

Dropping her off at her room and saying goodbye hurt just as much as it did the first time. But at least there was less resistance.

Scooping Madie into my arms, I walked us inside and set her on the edge of that tiny-ass dorm bed. Then I stood between her legs, cupped her face, and kissed her as deeply as I could. There wasn't much left to say; it was quiet in the room except for our breathing and Madie's soft whimper as I brushed away a stray tear with my lips.

We only broke apart because the door opened, and I saw Nessa's head pop into—and then quickly out of—the room.

It was still my cue to leave.

"I love you," I murmured against her lips.

There was a soft sigh before she said, "I love you, too."

I gave her one last kiss. "Thank you for this weekend, for the most amazing birthday present, Madie."

She blinked up at me, teary-eyed and a ghost of a smile on her lips. She was so fucking gorgeous, though. You'd think I would have gotten my fill of her the last two days, but it was all only a tease. I'd never get enough of this girl.

"You're such a gift," I said, moving a strand of hair out of her face. I began to back away after that, and Madie bit her lip and watched me go.

"Be careful," she murmured, pleading with her eyes. "I mean it, Bren."