Beach Love part 5

Chapter 5

A million "Hey's," echoed through the aquatic center. Brady forced a smile through and managed to say "Hey," back. I nudged him in the ribcage. Why was he being like this? "Quit being a butt." I muttered to him under my breath. He slightly stuck his tongue out at me like a little boy that is trying to mock his sister.

At that moment, Angie turned around and her eyes got big. Then her expression softened and composed. "Hey, uh, Amber? Is he with you?" She asked, clearly interested. I don't know if I quit felt comfortable with Angie hitting on Brady. Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in Brady, but...I just don't know. They're both my friends.

"Uh, Angie, this is Brady. My best friend from the Bahamas. The one I was telling you about." I tried to emphasize 'friend' as best I could. I looked to Brady and his face lit up a bit. He totally knew I didn't feel comfortable with him and Angie getting together. And he knew Angie was interested. I gave him a warning glance.

Brady held out his hand. "Hey, I'm Brady. Like she said." He tried to say as cool as possible. Angie shook his hand. It may have just been me, but I swore their hands stayed locked for a little bit before they let go. "So, where are you staying? At the college?" Angie asked, probably talking to Brady, but I answered her question. "No, we're staying at my old house." Angie looked a little taken aback. "Oh, that's cool. So you guys are like...staying together? There? Alone...?" Her face fell a bit.

Of course, Brady had to ruin everything. "Yeah, but we're not together or anything. We're practically brother and sister. We've tried it before, but it just didn't work out, right Amber?" Oh he was loving this. "Right." I said through clenched teeth. Angie's face lightened up again. "Oh, well maybe you could tell me more about living in the Bahamas?" She said flirtingly. I threw one last warning glance to Brady then rolled my eyes. "Sure." He answered, holding out his arm and Angie willingly took it.

"So, you're definitely single?" I heard Angie ask as Brady and her walked off. I groaned. Just what I need. My best friends to go off and make out. I turned back around to the big group of my old classmates and almost fell to the floor.

"Amber!" Monica screamed in my ear. I didn't know who knocked into me at first, but then realized it was her. "Monica!" I yelled back. "I cant believe you're here! Oh my gosh!" She jumped up and down. I chuckled slightly. "Yeah, I know. Are you and Jordan still together..." I asked, trying to hint about couples, guys, maybe AJ...

"Duh! We've been together for two years now! Ah!" She jumped again, then hugged me again. "Oh that's great! You guys are perfect for each other." I said. She clapped her hands. "Yeah, I know. Well it seems like you have a hottie..." I turned to look at Brady to find him lip locked with Angie. I scowled and rolled my eyes back to Monica. "Who's kissing Angie...hmm, I think I'd break up with him if I were you." She nodded. "Monica, I'm not going out with him. He's just a really good friend." I assured her.

"Oh, you're doing the whole 'in denial' thing. I get it." She nodded and patted me on the shoulder. "No! I'm serious! We're just friends! Speaking of friends...and boys..." I hinted. "I don't know anything about AJ. Sorry Amber." She cut me off and started walking toward Jordan. Maybe Jordan will know something...

"Hey, Jordan!" I yelled and ran after Monica. Right when Monica reached Jordan so did I. "Amber..." I put my hand up to stop her from saying anything. "Jordan, do you know anything about AJ?" I asked. Monica hid her face in Jordan's chest and Jordan just shook his head. "Sorry Amber." I threw my hands in the air. "Why is everyone acting like something happened that I don't know about?" I yelled, maybe a little too loudly.

Monica cupped my mouth so that I would shut up. Like I always do when people cover my mouth, I licked her hand. "Eww! Gross!" She wiped her hand on her bikini bottom. "Tell me what's going on!" I was getting really irritated now. Monica sighed and, if I wasn't mistaken, her eyes started to water up a bit. "Come here." She grabbed my wrist and towed me to the corner of the aquatic center.