10

chapter ten

       THE FLOOR OF THE Millennium Falcon started shaking beneath Amora just as her and Luke entered the ship's main corridor

THE FLOOR OF THE Millennium Falcon started shaking beneath Amora just as her and Luke entered the ship's main corridor. They were taking off as quick as they could, not bothering to wait for the boarding ramp to draw up. She let go of Luke's arm to close the door behind them, leaning up against the wall afterwards.

Amora didn't know what to feel. Heartbroken? Depressed? Angry? None of those felt right. She just felt empty. Like she should be feeling pain, but it just didn't reach her.

It's not like I've lost a part of myself, she tried to justify.

And that was true. She hadn't seen Obi-Wan in years. He held no impact in her life. He wasn't her light in the darkness. He was just a man that watched her grow up. His absence changed nothing in her life so far. So why should now be any different?

She took a deep breath and looked down the corridor. Luke was already gone, retreated into the main hold, and she decided to follow. She pushed herself off the wall headed into the room with shaky legs.

When she arrived, she saw Luke hunched over the lounge table, staring blankly at nothing. A blanket was draped over his shoulders, probably done by Leia, who sat behind him in a comforting fashion.

Amora couldn't help but admire Leia's strength. She was the princess of Alderaan, also known as the planet that was blown up only hours ago. Her home, her friends, her family, all gone. Her life was ripped away from her and destroyed to the tune of malicious laughter. And yet here she was, comforting a boy she just met because he was feeling down. Leia was the embodiment of what a leader should be.

Luke looked up at Amora, clearly still torn over what happened. He was innocent, far too innocent, for the galaxy they lived in. The past twenty-four hours were probably filled with the most death he'd ever seen in his life. And because of that, Amora took a page out of Leia's book, and smiled.

It felt odd. She wasn't feeling too cheerful. To be honest, the last thing she wanted to do was smile. But someone like Luke needed it.

If it was any random rebel feeling down about their losses, she would probably ignore them. They knew what they signed up for. Death was abundant. She would help if she could, but wouldn't waste her energy on consoling someone who had to get through it on their own. She had her own things to do.

But Luke didn't know what he'd signed up for. Living in his own little bubble until now, he was protected from reality by his own hopes and dreams. The idea of the rebellion seemed heavenly, like a vacation with your friends, just flying through space. But now he faced the hard truth of their cause before even stepping foot onto the base. And with that truth, you sometimes just need a friend, even if that friend was someone you met only hours ago.