14

chapter fourteen

       AMORA DIDN'T LIKE HOTH nearly as much as Yavin IV

       It had been three years since the destruction of the Death Star, and also three years since the rebellion moved their base to the snowy planet. While Yavin IV was known for its temperate climate and gorgeous rainforests, Hoth was known for its below-freezing temperatures and deadly blizzards. Even though the move was necessary after they were tracked, Amora wondered if it was really necessary to move here, where her trusty green jacket wasn't even warm enough for her.

       She tugged said jacket even tighter around her frame with a shiver as she stood next to Leia in the command center. They were called over to a monitor by General Rieekan to review information on the planet.

       "If we can't find any life on this planet, then we may need to tap into our allegiance contacts for resources," he informed the girls firmly, fretting over the strength of the rebellion as a base.

       Living in a frozen location like Hoth drained their supplies (not to mention their time and energy) much quicker than it should've. And since they'd been stuck there for three years without any news of relocation, it was up to them to survive on their own. Unfortunately, the odds didn't seem to be in their favor.

       "But it's impossible we'd have enough allies to survive off of," Leia reasoned, crossing her arms with doubt.

       "Yes, that's true," Rieekan agreed. "But the list has grown since the destruction of the Death Star. More and more people became interested in our cause. I estimate their services will extend our time here by, at most, a year."

       Amora closed her eyes with a tired, deep breath, reaching up to throw her hair into a messy bun. "So are you saying we should be searching for a new base, or should we focus on settling here?"

       "What I'm saying is that we can't just stay hiding from the Empire. We won't survive it. We need to plan our next move, something on the offense, and strike first before we wait ourselves out."

       "We can work on that," Leia replied immediately. "It'll be our next point of interest."

       Amora finished tying up her hair and put her hands in her hips. "And until then, we'll keep scavenging the land. I can go review the individual reports from yesterday."

       Rieekan nodded in agreement. "Yes," he waved his hand in the direction of another monitor. "Please. That would be helpful."

       Amora bowed her head down to Rieekan as a goodbye and smiled softly at Leia. She then walked away from the two and approached the monitor, seeing it already powered on. But she was there hardly five seconds before a voice interfered with her work.