29

chapter twenty-nine

       AMORA TRIED FALLING ASLEEP after realizing she was in no position to escape on her own, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she should be doing something more productive with her time, even if sleeping was productive

       AMORA TRIED FALLING ASLEEP after realizing she was in no position to escape on her own, but she couldn't shake the feeling that she should be doing something more productive with her time, even if sleeping was productive. She still tried to, she really did, at least until she was impolitely interrupted by a small squad of stormtroopers coming to escort her elsewhere.

       They hadn't even bothered to ask her. They just strutted in all arrogant-like and yanked her out of the cell wordlessly! At least they hadn't forced her into handcuffs. It's not like she could do anything, anyways, nor would she try. Being caught was embarrassing enough. She didn't need to be dehumanized on top of that.

       Now, obviously, she didn't know what to expect as they marched her through endless hallways that all looked the same. Perhaps an interrogation room with Vader? That was her best guess, since the stormtroopers wouldn't tell her anything. So it was perplexing to be brought into a vast, dark chamber that was flooded with gas and eerie, colorized lighting.

       Makes sense that Vader's waiting around in a literal dungeon.

       A trooper behind her lightly pushed her forward, causing her to nearly tumble down the orange, glowing stairs below them. She scowled, peeved by the disrespect, but didn't say anything as they led her down onto a circular platform with a hole in the middle. She could make out a few Ugnaughts working in the hole, apparently not minding the stormtroopers surrounding them, not to mention Vader. Once at the bottom of the stairs, they propped her right behind Lando and another man she didn't recognize, who also observed the work being done. No one even acknowledged her arrival.

       Typical.

       Vader circled the platform slowly and spoke with disgust. "This facility is crude, but it should be adequate to freeze Skywalker for his journey to the Emperor."

       Freeze?

       Amora tried to peer into the pit tensely, but her view was momentarily obstructed by an imperial officer hurrying over to Vader. She leaned back and watched their interaction attentively.

       "Lord Vader, ship approaching. X-wing class."

       Her body suddenly stiffened.

       No, no, no...

       Vader's plan was working perfectly. Luke just couldn't stay away. Of course he was here. He couldn't just stay away? Not save the day? Just this once?