15

chapter fifteen

       IT HAD BEEN FOUR hours since Han left the base to search for Luke

       IT HAD BEEN FOUR hours since Han left the base to search for Luke. And in those four hours, Amora felt nothing but sickening anxiety flutter rapidly in her stomach.

       She tried to busy herself with meaningless tasks and conversations, but she couldn't ignore the constant nag in the back of her mind that something was seriously wrong.

       "Leia?" Amora spoke quietly to the girl next to her.

       The two were currently in the main hangar bay, standing a little ways away from several other officers. They were watching the giant entrance in front of them, just waiting for any sign of the boys before they had to shut the doors for the night. So far, things weren't looking too good.

       Leia hummed in acknowledgment, but didn't take her eyes away from the door.

       "Do you really think they'll make it back?"

       She bit her lip with a beat of silence before looking over at Amora with an unreadable expression. "They will."

       Amora stared at Leia, looking for any sign of doubt in her features. "But do you actually believe that?"

       Leia managed a weak smile and gave a tiny nod. "They have to."

       That wasn't exactly the truthful answer Amora was looking for, but it was what she expected. And to be honest, it's also what she needed. She could listen to Threepio's statistics all day long, but they wouldn't calm her endless nerves. Leia seemed to always have the extra bit of motivation Amora needed when her hope was wavering.

       "They have to," Amora repeated with her own nod, attempting to assure herself that it was only paranoia.

       She looked back at the doors with a newfound confidence, even if it was mostly fake. It was all that she could manage, so it had to be enough.

       The sound of boots on snow brought her attention over to an approaching lieutenant that she didn't recognize. He jogged up to the nearby Major Derlin hurriedly, looking like he had information to deliver.

       "Sir, all the patrols are in. Still no-"

       Derlin held up a hand to silence the lieutenant, glancing over at the girls with worry. The lieutenant followed his gaze and lowered his voice down to a whisper in understanding, which Amora couldn't hear. She wanted to roll her eyes at their behavior, but chose to yell out instead.