13

chapter thirteen

       ALTHOUGH YAVIN IV LOOKED endlessly beautiful in the day, it was absolutely stunning at night

       ALTHOUGH YAVIN IV LOOKED endlessly beautiful in the day, it was absolutely stunning at night. Stars glittered in the inky sky, shining as bright clusters of mystery and wonder over the surprisingly quiet jungles. The rebellion's temple had settled into a calm blend of silence and chatter, fizzled out from the exuberant celebrations hours before. Most rebels had retreated into their rooms for a well-earned rest.

       Amora, however, couldn't find any ounce of tiredness within herself. She was still bubbly and giddy from the overwhelming joy of their victory. The feeling of jubilation, the feeling of hope, was too good to ignore. She had put off that happiness for far too long. And now that she had it, she wasn't willing to let it go.

       That's why she found herself aimlessly wandering the hallways of the temple. She would've gone outside if she could, but all exits were locked off for the safety of the base. The ship hangar was simply the next best thing.

       She entered the hangar, and to her surprise, noticed someone sitting on the ground near the center of the room by an X-wing. Peering curiously at the person as she neared closer, she realized it was Luke.

       "Luke? You're still up?"

       It had to be at least three in the morning by now.

       He jumped at the sound, but luckily there was nothing to hit his head on. Turning around awkwardly, he gave her a coy smile.

       "Uh, yeah. Couldn't really fall asleep, I guess," he spoke, trying to act casual.

       Amora walked up closer to him and silently took a seat. Without a word, they both stared at the X-wing, or so she thought. Luke was more interested in staring at her.

       "What are you still doing up?" he asked her curiously.

       Without looking at him, she shrugged. "Today was a really good day. I don't think I'm ready to let it end."

       He nodded, but said nothing. He really didn't know what to say. Amora was a confident, pretty girl, and he didn't know how to deal with that.

       "I actually want to thank you."

       Luke shot a confused look at the girl, who still wasn't looking at him. "For what?"

       She thought for a moment as she swallowed slowly.

       What was she thanking him for?