42

chapter forty-two

       BRIGHT AND EARLY IN the morning, the rebels peeked over a giant log to watch the imperial base that lie below their position

       BRIGHT AND EARLY IN the morning, the rebels peeked over a giant log to watch the imperial base that lie below their position. The trio, Chewie, and droids had regrouped with the alliance immediately after waking up and were accompanied by two young Ewoks by the names of Wicket and Paploo. After Amora attempted to convince Chief Chirpa to join their fight, he wholeheartedly agreed, as it would benefit them to have the Empire off their land. The rest of the tribe would join in later, but for now, the two Ewok guides were enough to assist them. The group watched as an imperial shuttle lifted off of the vast landing platform and disappeared into the galaxy.

       "The main entrance to the control bunker's on the far side of that landing platform," Leia lowly informed the group. "This isn't gonna be easy."

       The rebels sat down behind the log and pondered how to go about their mission. It seemed like the only option was to charge right through, but that definitely wasn't safe.

       "Hey, don't worry," Han spoke. "Chewie and me got into a lot of places more heavily guarded than this."

       "If only the stakes weren't as high," Amora sighed, deep in thought.

       Chewie growled in agreement.

       As they considered what to do next, Wicket suddenly began to speak urgently to Threepio. He waved his paws around in large motions and sounded confident. Threepio then asked him a question in the same native language and they went back and forth in front of the others.

       "What's he saying?" Leia wondered.

       "He says there's a secret entrance on the other side of the ridge!"

       Perfect!

       Amora was growing to appreciate the Ewoks more and more as she spent more time with them. First impressions weren't always right.

       "Thank you," she whispered to Wicket, forgetting that he couldn't understand her. She then shifted her eyes between Leia and Han. "I think we have time to go around."

       The two nodded and Han gestured to the rebels who were still hidden in the tree line. The rebels quietly backed away from their hiding spot behind the log. It would take valuable time to circle all the way around the base, but there was no other way that wouldn't get them killed. They turned around and let the Ewoks guide them deeper into the forest, trusting that they were leading them to the right place.

       It was a longer journey than Amora expected and was very tense. They didn't know the exact layout of the base's security, meaning there could be a trooper hiding around any tree. They tried their best to be stealthy and fast.