21

chapter twenty-one

       IT HAD BEEN ABOUT a week since they had landed on Dagobah, yet Amora still wasn't completely comfortable

       IT HAD BEEN ABOUT a week since they had landed on Dagobah, yet Amora still wasn't completely comfortable. She had adapted as well as she could, but in the end, the planet was still just one giant swamp. There was no way around it. Progress had been made on her ship, which improved her mood slightly. But only slightly. There was still an obvious problem that constantly plagued her thoughts. And her scrambled feelings weren't making that problem any better.

       The normally-confident Amora was sent for a loop by the almost-kiss that lingered in the air every time she and Luke were alone together. It was a painfully obvious indication that the regular, playful nature of their friendship had disappeared, replaced with something that neither of them wanted; an unmistakable tension that only stalled the relationship they both secretly craved.

       She completely regret passing up the chance to kiss him when it was presented. She liked to believe that it would've made everything much more simple. Well, it probably wouldn't have, actually, but she liked to believe it would. Then she could've sorted out her own feelings, see if that's what she really wanted, instead of tensely dodging the necessary conversation.

       It shouldn't have been that difficult. Amora just wanted to kiss him and get it over with, see how she really felt. Maybe it would be some sort of closure and she could put all feelings behind her. She could get it over with tonight if she wanted to. But it was that difficult.

       As easy as it would be for her to just walk up to him and kiss his stupid face, she couldn't do that. Now that would make things difficult. Not only would it majorly confuse him, but it'd make their friendship very awkward (if it even lasted) and a whole lot more complicated. That shot down any hopes she had while contemplating that plan. And she did contemplate it.

       Luke, on the other hand, was in a similar situation, but for different reasons. To put it simply, Amora intimidated him sometimes... there was no question about that. Not in a mean, scary way (he was lucky enough to never be on the receiving end of that), but in a "she's way out of my league" way. Like she would be disgusted at the thought of his infatuation. It wasn't like he knew a lot of girls on Tatooine... and the ones that he did know treated him like a joke (just ask Camie Loneozner). He was used to girls laughing in his face at the mere thought of him. But then he left that all behind and met Amora.

       She was a breath of fresh air compared to the toxic, survival culture of Tatooine, even if she was sometimes stern and stoic. She was confident in everything she did; the way she dressed, the way she gave speeches to squadrons, the way she would casually kiss his cheek at random times. Sometimes a little too confident, sometimes a little assertive, but to Luke, it only showed her years of experience and resilience. And under all that confidence and maturity, she was just a girl who grew up too fast; who got excited at the thought of dressing up with Leia, who squealed at the thought of traveling to a new planet, who relaxed around him because he's the only one who ever made her feel so normal. She was just a girl. A girl who was better than him in every way. A girl that made him believe that all those years of ridicule were worth it. At her core, she radiated pure kindliness. Something about her was just too good to be true.