32

chapter thirty-two

       AN UPBEAT, JAZZY SONG overflowed in Jabba's palace, stirring up the illusion that it was a wonderful place to be

AN UPBEAT, JAZZY SONG overflowed in Jabba's palace, stirring up the illusion that it was a wonderful place to be. It masked the crimes and fights with hearty laughter and fun that was too disgustingly fake for Amora to feel relaxed. The music was the only thing that gave these heartless creatures soul. Their bodies swayed in a temporary liveliness that matched the joyless dancers who had no choice but to entertain. Yet Amora knew of how vile they were when the music was shut off. This was just their idea of enjoyment and it'd be gone soon enough. Then again, that was none of her business.

Amora was glad she was distanced from the central party. The bar, although busy, was usually less populated than the dance floor and wasn't as stressful as the environment near Jabba. If she were to be grateful for anything, it'd be the fact that her job was ideal. It was distracting and easy, not to mention the secluded location. And sure, there were always more negatives, like the endless social aspects. But while she was busy at work whipping up a classic Tatooine sunset, her current customer was one that she actually enjoyed serving.

"Phase two is today."

Amora looked up from the glass she was holding and stared at Lando with a delightfully befuddled expression. "Uh huh, and what exactly does that mean?"

"You know I can't tell you that."

Amora poured some orange liquid from a bottle as she shook her head in disbelief. "There's absolutely nothing you can say?"

Lando sighed in thought. It's not like he wanted to keep her in the dark. He wished he could keep her updated on every little piece of news. It's actually what he was supposed to be doing, anyways. As far as Luke knew, Amora was caught up with the plan and was ready to break out tonight. But Lando knew better. It'd be great for her to be on the same page as everyone else, but it'd be worse for someone to overhear or peek at a message, ruining the rescue for no reason. So yes, maybe he lied to Luke a few times about how much Amora knew, but it was all for her and Han's safety. He'd dealt with his fair share of gangsters. He knew just how dangerous it was to have that sort of information floating around. But if phase two went down correctly, Amora would need to know at least one important thing.

Lando swept his gaze around swiftly before leaning in closer to Amora, hand covering his mouth as he whispered. "Leia's coming."

She tried to bite back the smile at the mention of her best friend, just the thought of seeing her again made her gleeful. "You said today?"

"Could be any minute now," he nodded. "Tonight, you'll be gone."

Tonight.