12

chapter twelve

       A LOUD HUM FILLED the ship hangar as X-wings began to leave the area

       A LOUD HUM FILLED the ship hangar as X-wings began to leave the area. One by one, they picked off from the ground, flying out into the spotless blue sky. It didn't take too long for the room to clear out completely, the buzz of ships reduced to nothing. The flight crew members who were not pilots finished up their post-takeoff tasks before heading out. But Amora lingered in the room, not ready to head off to the control room just yet.

       For a while, she simply stood in place. It was certainly easier than facing the harsh reality of the current battle. It would happen, whether she was there to witness it or not. But after waiting around for long enough, she noticed something in the corner of the hangar, something that made her start walking,

       She approached two figures who lingered as well, organizing a collection of crates, probably money, in the corner. She thought they would've left already, but they clearly didn't.

       "I guess you're leaving now, huh?" Amora asked Han, who had his back turned to her.

       He whirled around at her voice, but turned right back around when he saw who it was.

       "Lemme guess, you're gonna try to convince me to stay, too?" he asked her as he handed off a crate to Chewbacca.

       Amora shrugged, even though he couldn't see her. "No," she said simply.

       He peered over his shoulder at her in curiosity. That prompted her to keep talking.

       "I mean, you've made up your mind already. It would be great to have you here, but it's not like I can stop you."

       He completely stopped moving, turning around again to face her completely. He crossed his arms and leaned against the stacks.

       "Try telling that to the kid," Han scoffed, waving his hand towards the hangar opening in a general manner. "Hey, shouldn't you be up there with 'em, commander?"

       Amora ignored his comment about Luke and rolled her eyes at his assumption.

       "Flying's not really my thing," she admitted. "I'm better off in the control room." She paused and shifted her weight to the left. "I should be there right now, actually, but I just wanted to say goodbye first."

       Han gave her a small smile, just big enough for her to see the sincerity, and unfolded his arms.

       "Well, you weren't the worst customer I've had," he teased her.