38

chapter thirty-eight

       IT WAS A SHAME the Empire chose such a beautiful location as their energy source

       IT WAS A SHAME the Empire chose such a beautiful location as their energy source. Battle was bound to break as soon as the alliance was discovered, and Amora wasn't looking forward to destroying a peaceful ecosystem. Maybe in the past she wouldn't have cared, but now she saw the battlegrounds for more than their tactile benefits. She wished she could've been here for enjoyment instead of war.

       The forest was an incredibly lush destination that was too quiet and calm for violence. Beams of sunlight shone through the leafy canopies and lit the trails in a delicate afternoon glow. The fine breeze that played with tree branches gently passed through Amora's hair to dance with the grass, creating a natural whistling that was hardly noticeable amongst the faint, distant sounds of animals. Endor was delightful.

       After landing the shuttle on a hill a little ways away from the Imperial base, the strike team was on the move. They had unloaded from the ship, grabbing weapons and passing out camouflage, and now marched in a silent, single-file line down the makeshift path on full alert. Amora hiked behind Leia and in front of Luke in a position practically at the front of the line.

       She was feeling more comfortable with her role within the rebellion again. Perhaps all she needed was to jump into the action after a terribly long break. And she was especially comfortable now as she admired the forestry surrounding the rebels. It was gorgeous like Naboo and reminded her of just how pretty the galaxy could be. Though as the team was led deeper into possible enemy territory, she became more and more focused on the potential looming threats that could be hiding behind the trees. Han carefully ventured at the very front of the group as a lookout, motioning signals to everyone to keep the team in line and stealthy. This part of the woods was too dangerous for mistakes.

       All of a sudden, Han halted in his tracks. He waved his arm down, indicating to the others that it was time to hide. Imperials must've been close. Amora glanced behind her and watched the stretched line of rebels duck immediately and prepare their weapons. Still facing the back, she made eye contact with Luke, who nodded subtly and nudged his head forward. Amora pressed her lips together and followed Han and Leia up the hill with Luke and Chewie in tow.

       Han led them up to a miniature drop-off atop a hill that had a wide view of a clearing down below. Amora hid behind the hill with the others and raised her head just enough to spot the Imperial surveillance. Two troopers in untraditional armor were wandering around the clearing in search of rebel activity, a pair speeder bikes parked at the edge of the trees. It wasn't a lot, but it was an obstacle nonetheless.

       "Should we try and go around?" Leia asked while peering over the ledge.

       "It'll take time," Luke sighed.