Dawn

March 25th, 1996
Elena Clairmont
________________________

Ten days.

Ten gods-damned days I haven't seen him. Haven't heard from him, haven't seen him, haven't been anywhere near him. For ten days, I've felt like a fucking fool. Until today.

Every morning, I have hauled my tired ass out of the dormitory and snuck down to the meadow. Every morning, I wait there until my first class begins and he never shows up.

Today is my last morning that I will try and wait for Malfoy to show up. After today, if he doesn't show up, I'm giving up. Stupid bastard has sent me into a blind rage for ten days and believe me when I say that I will murder him if he tries to accuse me of giving up.

As silent as I can be, I tie the laces of my boots tightly. The light pours through the windows of the dormitory, even through the deep red curtains made of the finest velvet I've ever felt between my fingertips.

The girls are still sleeping soundly. Ginny's rough snoring fills the room and I always struggle to hide my giggle when I hear her snore. She's so short and thin but damn, the girl has muscle and snores louder than Ron.

"Shut it!" Hermione slurs her words. She opens a single eye and grabs a light book from her nightstand. I watch silently with wide eyes. Before I can try to take the book away, Hermione flings it in Ginny's general direction.

I bite down on my tongue so I can't wake anyone up with my laugh. Holy gods- there's never a dull moment in Hogwarts.

"Umph!" Ginny screams from the impact of the book, trying to smack it off. Ginny ends up smacking herself in the eye, making her sit up.

I can't contain my laughter anymore. I bark out a laugh, doubling over, while both of my friends jump and sit up. Hermione's bushy hair is even more bushy and dishelieved and she stares at me with wide eyes. But Ginny, her eyes are lined with silver, messy hair and all.

The smile stays on my face, even when Ginny starts smiling like crazy too. "You alright, Gin?"

Ginny shrieks with laughter and pushes herself out of her covers, towards me. I stiffen, smiling harder. Squealing like a mad woman, she throws herself on me, happily laughing. I flinch every time her hands pull me closer.

But, I relax. I smile and breathe in Ginny. She pulls apart from me and her eyes are shining happily. Her hands hold my face gently, not letting me go.

"You're laughing and smiling!" Ginny shrieked, her gaze danced all over my face. They were searching- desperate to find the shadows or the grief, the emptiness. But I'm sure, so damned sure that there was none of it.

I nodded slowly. "It's what people do when they feel joy, Gin." She let go of me and she gave me a playful shove. Her smile didn't falter. But Hermione behind her looked as clueless as I felt.

"Elena, I haven't seen you like this for months." Ginny shook her head.

Oh.

My heart pounded faster and louder as I remembered ten days ago- my pact with Malfoy to walk together. He was the reason I smiled and laughed without a damn. Knowing I wasn't alone in this, something changed. Shifted, changed, whatever. Something was different and I didn't hate it because he wasn't as bad as I wanted him to be.

I shrugged, raising a brow at both my friends. "Yeah well, seeing you get assaulted by a book always awakens my laughter at dawn."

Hermione came behind Ginny and rubbed her eyes. The bushy haired girl took a step towards me, touching my arm gently. "Is it Fred? Have you finally made up?"