Trial

*This chapter contains direct quotes/paraphrased quotes from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by JK Rowling. I do not claim those quotes/sentences as my own.*

TW: mentions of sexual assault.

_____________

June 2nd, 1996.

_____________

The first thing Elena thought as she stepped into the court chambers was that she was starving. But the moment she saw the mass that was the Wizengamot, the entire court, the hunger went away and her stomach was filled with dread.

Her second thought was that she would need all of the luck she could get.

The Wizengamot looked as though they would eat her alive if they had the chance.

Tonks held onto the crook of Elena's elbow, just for appearances (and because she could barely walk on her own without limping), and directed her to the single chair before the high seated jury. Tonks turned on her heel, passed a small glance to Elena full of reassurance, and sat next to Kingsley, who had already taken his seat in the stands.

Elena sat down carefully, avoiding the ache on her spine. The loud roaring noise in her ears covered up the ache perfectly.

Scattered members of the jury were whispering, throwing Elena's name within the mention of her bruises. She had purposely not even opened her cosmetics bag. The world deserved to see the raw bruises and dark shadows of her face that had been caused by the Officers.

This was one thing the Ministry couldn't rip away from her: her time to tell the truth.

Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic, was in the head seat. He wore the traditional robes Elena had seen him wear during Harry's trial months ago. No sign of the infamous bowler hat- just a large cap.

"We shall now begin trial case 07-30-1980," Cornelius Fudge proclaimed to the rest of the Wizengamot.

The jury settled themselves in their high risen seats, looking down at Elena.

She straightened in her chair, running her tongue over her teeth, taking away any trace of blood or red lipstick. It was her signature, one thing that she wouldn't let the jury see her without. Bruised and bloodied and broken down but still herself.

She could do this. Elena was strong and fearless and she could do it, damn it. If going through an exhausting trial meant going back home, going back to Malfoy and Sirius and Ginny, she could do this for them. And they would never have to know she was inches away from death.

It was a good situation.

There must have been at least fifty members of the Wizengamot, all dressed in plum purple robes and an embroidered silver "W" on the left of their chests. Almost all of them had been present during Harry's trial and almost all of them had convicted him as guilty.

Elena forced the memory out of her head and focused on who knew would give her the benefit of the doubt. About three or four warm faces she had seen before were sitting in the jury.

Amelia Bones, the aunt of Susan Bones who was fairly nice to Elena. Mafalda Hopkirk, who sent the howler to Harry about his expulsion. The Black, Potter, Clairmont seats were empty, just as they had been for years. The Malfoy seat was empty too, which was usually reserved for Lucius Malfoy.

Percy Weasley was sitting in Professor Umbridge's seat, clad in his own set of purple robes. Not the Court Scribe anymore, but a temporary replacement for Umbridge.