The Children Who Lived

October 31st, 1981

__________________

           It was October 31st, 1981. There was a certain feeling roaming through the air. Something melancholic, something like death. It was a dangerous time of course, but no other day had felt this strong- this deadly.

Isabella and Thomas Clairmont were in their small home near Godric's Hollow.

While they were desperate for fresh air, for the joys of the holiday, they could not help but feel something was wrong. It was nightfall and the streets were eerily quiet, the occasional laugh of a passing child ringing through the air. It was their child's first Halloween and they should be out, celebrating it with their friends but they could not leave their home. Not unless they wanted to die and have their child dead.

Nothing was going to stop the Dark Lord from killing their child. Not even their pleas.

Small Elena Jean Clairmont was only a year old and nestled in her crib.

Her mother, Isabella sat in the chair away from the window while her father, Thomas held her hand.

Lately, the expressions of anxiety and fear were the only things on their faces. How could they not be? The prophecy was specific.

Two children, a boy and a girl from different parents, born at the end of July, will be the downfall of the Dark Lord. That applied to their child, who was born on the 30th of July. The day before Harry James Potter was born.

At first, the Potters' and the Clairmonts planned to hide away together and protect their children together but the planning was thrown away the moment that their friend, Peter Pettigrew told them how quickly the Dark Lord would be searching for them. When he suggested they go into hiding immediately, the Potters' and Clairmonts did not hesitate or ask questions.

He was both their secret-keeper, of course.

Along with James Potter, Lily Potter, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black, he was their best friend, their family.

It was near midnight when they first heard the noise. It was deafening and tale-telling.

The Dark Lord was here and he knew where they were.

The small home rattled softly and Elena woke from her sleep, watching as her parents began to tremble with ever-lasting fear.

Isabella Clairmont took out her wand as she kissed her husband for what would be the last time. Her hands shook and her body was riddled to the bone with fear but Merlin's beard, she would die for her husband and her beautiful girl if it was the last thing she did. Isabella turned to the white crib against the wall as Elena sat up and rubbed her eye with her small clenched fist. Seeing her child nearly made Isabella sob out loud but she had to be strong.

She would be strong.

If she could hold off the Dark Lord long enough, her husband and child could run and live.

"My beautiful girl," She cooed, reaching into the crib and picking up the infant. "Mama loves you so much. You will do great things, Elena Jean, I know it. You are strong. You are loved, my darling." Thomas took their child in his arms as Isabella's voice broke into a hushed whisper at the sound of a cracking yell.

"Where are you hiding, dear old Isabella?" A woman so psychotic that it was a wonder on how she was able to separate reality from her mind, yelled through the house.

The door had been broken down by the Dark Lord and his most loyal death-eater to ever live, Bellatrix Lestrange. For Bellatrix to be here, it had to be bad.