Shattered Windows

Well, you already know what to do when you see the +
____________________

May 24th, 1996.
____________________

The last time Elena Clairmont had spoken to Fred Weasley had been weeks ago and those angry, harsh words had been something she had felt deep in her heart.

They had become so bitter and horrid and messy that it was painful to think about. But somewhere in between fighting Malfoy and running from Officers with him, the pain had gone away.

There was no pain, no bitterness, no regret. Nothing.

So much had changed and turned into something that wasn't present anymore and she hated it so much but there was nothing she could do about it. Nothing she could do to change the way she resented Fred or was angry with him for not caring enough to stay or try.

He was giving up and she saw it more and more everyday.

It had been the same each day, for four days.

Going to classes, writing with the laced blood quill for hours, being dragged to the infirmary by Ginny, Harry being trailed by Draco. She would fall into sleep for a few hours, wake up to Harry, Ginny and Draco waiting by her bed.

Falling back asleep and knowing that Malfoy stayed until she woke up but leaves before she sees her, was the best part.

She didn't mention it at all, though. It wasn't something you mentioned when it happened. Especially not to Draco, he would shut down and never do it again. So, Elena kept her mouth shut and only smiled in private.

"Are you working on the Astronomy chart tonight?" Draco said, nudging Elena out of her thoughts.

She looked up from the table and towards Draco. "Hm?"

It was nearly three and Elena was desperately trying to make time slow down. She couldn't do another day of being on the verge of snapping her own neck.

It was literal torture.

You would think that the punishments wouldn't pass onto the weekends but Professor Umbridge made sure they did.

Today was the fifth day of their punishments and Elena was barely able to get out of the infirmary on her own feet. Each day, it had gotten worse.

The second day had been the worst. Elena had woken up to Madam Pomfrey shaking her awake and then giving her another potion. When Elena had stood up and tried to take a step, she fell onto the floor and tried to keep her tears back.

But she got up with Draco's help. He extended a hand covered in the fabric of his robes and helped lift her up.

The entire day, she had been tired and frail. It was the same over the past days. But slowly, she was getting used to it- the sleepiness, the pain.

Through the haziness of the past four days, Elena had completely forgotten about the Astronomy chart due Monday- tomorrow. She had only written her name on the chart, while tonight was the last opportunity to chart the stars, constellations and planet patterns.

"Have you forgotten about the Astronomy chart?" Draco raised his eyebrows. "You're fucked."

She shrugged, replying, "I can go tonight with the final group. I'm certain Luna is going, I'll go with her."

"Fine, for hell's sake- I'll go with you." Draco rolled his eyes.

Elena glanced at him, peering up from her book in front of her. "You don't need to-"