Trying

April 27, 1996

____________________

She was as quiet as she could be while she sat in a meadow, deep within the Forbidden Forest.

The leaves grew long and green as the grass tickled her legs laid out in front of her. Her nose scrunched against the spring winds blowing from every direction. She raised her head up, watching the beautiful blue sky pass by with small clumps of flowy clouds. It would have been beautiful if Elena's back wasn't bleeding.

She pressed her knees against her chest even more, tightening up into a ball with her bleeding back facing the trees behind her. She felt each drop of blood run down from every piece of split skin. Elena counted each drop.

"Elena Clairmont!" A squeaky voice behind her exclaimed happily. She turned her head and her heart warmed at the sight of her old friend.

"Dobby has come to help!" The small house-elf smiled and lifted up the wades of bandages in his thin arms.

His sweater was overly big, landing above his knobby knees. A lopsided hat with flaps laid on his head and Dobby pushed the flaps away every few moments. Elena recognized the hat- she and Hermione had spent most of last summer knitting hats and mittens for the house-elves of Hogwarts.

Elena smiled gratefully and shrugged off the cardigan keeping her warm. She had had Dobby come and patch her up before- back in Winburn or even after Quidditch matches when she didn't want Madam Pomfrey to know she was injured.

Her back was exposed, raw and bleeding. Dobby's already wide eyes widened even more and then he neared, rolling the rolls of bandages in neat rows.

Dobby worked quietly and quickly, gently touching Elena. His thin fingers grazed the frayed edges of her marred skin. She shivered, wincing at the slightest breeze.

"Who did this to Elena Clairmont?" Dobby asked softly, tying a bandage to cover one of the lashes. The fabric soothed the burning skin cooly.

She tensed and shook her head, a few strands of wavy hair flying out from her long braid. Digging her fingernails into her palms, she shoved away the memories of what had occurred two weeks ago. She had seen it replay enough in her nightmares already.

Dobby glanced up to his friend, as sad as he had ever seen her. "Elena Clairmont is Dobby's friend. Dobby has to know who did this to his friend,"

Once again, Elena remained silent. She couldn't poor Dobby about the horrors she had faced all alone. It would be bad, so terrible if she said anything. Dobby would surely tell Professor Dumbledore and that was the last thing Elena needed- to be another burden for someone to deal with.

As the house-elf secured the last few bandages on Elena's wounds, he patted her shoulder and she shrugged her cardigan back on- she would change later. Dobby circled back over to Elena and she reached out, squeezing his bandaged hand.

She inclined her chin in a thank you, holding his hand tight.

"Dobby will see Elena Clairmont soon," Dobby grinned and stepped away but Elena held up a finger.

From inside her book bag, she pulled out a small, shrunken sweater with a matching pair of socks. The periwinkle yarn was beautiful and Dobby let out a small squeak. Elena held out the clothing she had attempted to knit for him as a thank you for bandaging her wounds for the past years.

"Elena Clairmont has given Dobby a gift!" Dobby squealed, clapping his hands together.

Elena nodded, handing him the clothing and touching his small face gently. Without warning, Dobby burst into tears and wailed loudly, waking a nearby Thestral. Elena jumped, holding a crying house-elf.