Blood Quills

May 20th, 1996.

__________________

My dearest darling,
I wonder what Professor Umbridge will do today and what I will do to piss her off today. Any ideas?
- Your little love

Elena folded the slip of parchment and discreetly slid it over to Draco.

He set down his quill, leaving the word half written as he took the parchment slip underneath the crook of his elbow and glanced up to Umbridge.

She was busy petting Mrs Norris, perched on her lap.

Draco read Elena's neat writing and replied.

My little love, light of my life, heart of mine,
Causing Mrs Norris to scratch Umbridge's face seems like a pretty good shot of getting banished from the class, don't you think? I reckon it's time for Mrs Norris to meet Fish. Speaking of all things unnatural, where is the demonic spawn? It has not tried to gouge my eyes out today... I find her presence lacking.
-Your dearest darling

Their little notes had been taking up so much parchment that Elena had to beg Hermione for a few extra rolls from her emergency stash she kept locked under lock and key.

Hermione claimed that Ginny would use it to make spitballs and hurl them at anyone who looked at her the wrong way and Elena would use them to make small origami figures. She certainly wasn't wrong.

Draco and Elena had forgotten all about blood oaths, boyfriends and scars while they wrote and wrote to each other during the silence in their classes. Mostly it took place in DADA.

They only had DADA together, Care of Magical Creatures, Potions, Transfiguration, and Astronomy together, after all.

While she had Herbology, he took Arithmancy. While he took History of Magic, Elena had Muggle Studies. During his time in Herbology, she took History of Magic.

Defense Against the Dark Arts was the one time where they sat next to each other and were able to sneak notes to each other while Umbridge did anything else.

Care of Magical Creatures was strictly separated between Slytherins and Gryffindors so for them to speak, it was like committing treason to your own house.

Astronomy was only on Wednesday nights at midnight and most of the time, they were silent in their own sleepy groups with only enough energy to glance at each other.

Transfiguration, they sat across the room from each other and even if they did sit near each other, getting away with note passing in Professor Mcgonagall's class was nearly impossible.

It would take a miracle.

Potions was the only class where they did speak but not in the way they had grown used to.

Potions was run by Professor Snape and if you're anything but a rich Slytherin, you're treated like scum on Earth. Snape gave out points to Slytherin for the simplest of tasks while Gryffindor got points taken away if they breathed out of line.

The few times they had bothered to acknowledge each other in Potions had not been as Elena and Draco- but as the Girl Who Lived and the Malfoy Heir, the people they were trying to outrun.

It nearly killed him, pretending to want her dead. And it nearly killed her, not being near him. But they managed and it was what made Defense Against the Dark Arts much more enjoyable.