Sneak (2)

May 14th, 1996.

_________________

Sure enough, Draco Malfoy had been waiting for Elena Clairmont outside of the classroom door.

The entire two hour long class of Muggle Studies, Elena didn't know what to say or do when she would see Draco again. Was she to act as if he had never kissed her temple?

This was the reason she didn't want anything to happen between them, even though so much already had.

If they did something, she would be left in shambles if it ended badly- if Fred found out, if she confronted everything she forced herself to ignore for both of their sakes.

Her head pounded each time she took a step towards the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

"Wildfire," Draco said quietly, ignoring everyone's curious glances.

They had been stared at ever since they began talking civilly in public but more stares came after this morning when Elena had nearly pummelled Marietta's face into the ground.

It had been a wonderful spectacle.

Elena swallowed and forced her face to remain impassive. "Malfoy,"

He didn't know if it was alright to open the door for her anymore. What crossed their boundaries? He had already kissed her forehead like a fucking idiot. Who even does that?

Elena hid her slightly shaking hands and opened the door for the classroom for the both of them. It would mark their first time arriving before the bell- a miracle.

Professor Umbridge didn't even bother to look up at them anymore.

She was bustling around, adjusting her bright pink cardigan that Elena's blood had splattered on. The blood specks had barely washed out.

Elena and Draco silently sat down, their chairs still arranged close together. Each time she adjusted the skirt of her dress, their legs rubbed together and she would jump back, apologizing profusely before returning her forced attention to whatever Umbridge was saying.

He just sat there, each time. It was infuriating watching Elena squirm and be awkward all because he finally found the damn courage to do something.

Once again, Elena's leg brushed against his and she jumped back. Her chair squeaked against the floor roughly. "Sorry- I didn't mean-"

Draco had enough of her damn awkwardness.

He raised his hand in the air and Professor Umbridge stopped talking just to give him permission to speak.

"Professor, Clairmont doesn't feel well." Draco scripted to his teacher.

Elena's eyes widened. Since when was she not feeling well?

"May I take her to Madam Pomfrey?" Draco finished, sliding Elena a look that told her to play along.

Professor Umbridge cleared her throat. She narrowed her watery eyes to Elena who sat in her seat, hunched over.

"And what exactly is wrong?" Umbridge said with fake kindness.

Elena didn't even put effort into whatever was going to be said. "I'm going to vomit-"

Draco widened his eyes for a second, encouraging her to go on.

"Oh- and I have a cough." Elena deadpanned in the most monotone voice he had ever heard. She faked a shitty cough that sounded like her cat trying to cough up a hairball.