09 ✘ pre-pre-hall

"YOUR MOTHER WANTS you home by ten tonight, Amber

"YOUR MOTHER WANTS you home by ten tonight, Amber." Polo says, parking the limo right in front of Courtemanche Mall — another business venture owned by the Delvaùx's.

There's a rule of thumb at Sterling; if it's French it's Delvaùx.

Of course there are other French students at the school who belong to the wealthiest of families but nothing compares to the Delvaùx's. They own everything. There was even a rumour during freshman year that the Courtemanche Mall was supposedly lived in by Calebs' family before it got its new look.

"Yes, I know." I know she wants me home, I just have no clue why. Especially with her recent disappearing acts. Though, I can hardly complain since the house has had a serene energy to it.

I go to reach for the doors to open the car but it doesn't budge. Polo's eyes meet mine in the rearview mirror. He doesn't look at me with the usual disdain mother does, rather, a sort of knowing that I assume comes with being a father.

I despise it. I despise it so much I think I might puke.

"Do you care though, Amber? Because I dont want you to get in trouble with your mother."

"You don't want to be fired." I shoot back, "There's no reason for you to disguise it as concern."

Polo doesn't wince at the snarkiness, he just sighs and leans into his seat. "Amber, I know you're a good girl."

I feel my face take up a look of wariness before I repress it. None of that. "I'm really not."

"I've known you since you were three, Amber. I've watched you grow up, you aren't just some bratty teenager."

"Perhaps, you don't know me at all."

His eyes leave mine from the rearview only to meet them again through the partition.

"You aren't my dad Polo. You're just my driver." I mutter, finding it harder to disrespect him now that he's truly looking at me.

He shrugs nonchalantly,  "I never claimed to be your dad Amber." His words, despite not having cruel intentions, generate an uneasy feeling to unfold at the pit of my stomach.

"Let me out. I'll be home in time." Something in my voice must ignite some sort of emotion because two seconds later I hear the familiar chime of the door being unlocked. I whisper a half—hearted goodbye as I head out. I don't have time to dwell on whatever issue it is, my mind will begin to fester as my phone begins to ring. I scurry into Courtemanche Mall, bringing my phone up to my ear simultaneously.

"I'm at the entrance." I remark spinning on my heel in order to scope out my surroundings and to see what shops have already closed.

"I know I saw you walk in, I'm right behind you." I falter for a moment before looking over my shoulder to see the familiar face of Alfred Lawrence.