06 ✘ red handed cheats

"YOU LIKE PUZZLES, figure this one out Nayelie

"YOU LIKE PUZZLES, figure this one out Nayelie."

Valé's words replayed like a broken record on a loop, constantly nagging at me. That girl can presuade, I'll tell you that for sure.

The thing is when she gave me — more like assigned Atlas McAllister I knew it wasn't a task, but a challenge. How can I attract him, when it seems as though by the slightest attraction of a person he's repelled? At least the other boys are stupid enough to show off what they like. Whereas Atlas is completely left a mystery.

And so that's why the flirting, the giggling, the mind games simply wouldn't work for me. Don't get me wrong, I know I can be attractive and in no way shape or form am I degrading myself. But, beauty can only get you so far, and yet so distant. It's your brains that keep someone around.

Pretty faces can be traded, valuable information can't.

And fortunately for me, Atlas seems to be hiding the most. With his brooding deep brown eyes, rich skin and secretive behaviour. He might be beautiful but he's no saint.

I dont really willingly communicate with my sorry excuse of a father, but owning one of the most respected law firms in the area has its perks, so his relationship with me on a basis due to that is bittersweet.

The last time I saw Atlas, it was walking out of my father's office, and coincidently a month or so later I found an email addressed to Silas McAllister — his father. I skimmed over it, my main purpose was to catch dad cheating red—handed so I didn't take it into consideration, but now? I'm eager.

My first step though, is knowing when dad will be back in town.

Mom is wearing her ugly Christmas sweater, and watching Hallmark movies when I make it down the stairs. It's September. She's in one of her moods again, the one where she can't be bothered to get up and get her life together, and I know why.

Dad has gone on one of his work 'trips.'

I hope he understands I'm not four anymore. I hope he understands I know what's going on. I hope he understands how much I miss the old him.

Not even the one that didn't do all this, but the one who at least kept it from me.

'Take care of your mother,' he said when he left. I wish I could tell him he's the only person I need to keep her from. He's the danger, not anyone else.

'I love you both.' Just like you love the other women who make your bed warm when you're here with us? Just like you love to hurt us? Just like how you love to lie?

"Mom, are you alright?" I call out, from the arch of the doorway that separates one of the lounge rooms and kitchen. I remember when we first moved to the estate, the excitement. Our old place back in Madrid was half the size of our home now.

I soon realized that despite my blessings big was in no way better, it just means more space to mess up and not get caught.

Mom gets up as if she hadn't known I was home and wipes fallen tears from her cheeks. "I'm fine Mija, you just scared me that's all." She's lying, obviously.

"Oh okay." That's become my default recently. It's easier to say then to say what I really feel.

"Are you hungry?" She asks, switching off the television and standing up.

Her usual youthful skin drapes and her burnt caramel eyes are rimmed with red. I feel the guilt eating away even before I'm about to pose the question. I dont know how to ask it without seeming completely and utterly rude. Then I think about her, and how she must have felt when the list got released.

"No. I just came in to ask you when you think dad will be home."

"Oh, right, your father." A low sigh escapes her lips as she stares into the distance, "I think around one tomorrow, but maybe later you know him, he's a busy man."

I go to thank her but my phone rings out as a notification comes through. Mom eyes me knowingly and I smile sheepishly taking my phone out of my jackets pocket.

THE REALISTS

valé: progression ??

unknown number: give it time

valé: alright alright sorry amber

spoilt bitch : mhm

I've always had this internal dislike towards Amber Zhu. It lies in the way she carries herself, it's not with confidence — I'm all for confident women — it's the cockiness that subsides in her behaviour that irritates me.

She looks at everyone like they're dirt on her shoe, she walks around the school as if she owns the place and I've seen her singlehandedly make freshmen cry. She doesn't even need the aid from her hundred or so minions.

I won't lie, I'm confused on why Valé would choose her when she clearly has nothing to offer, other than unwanted opinions and her varying backhanded compliments. But I'm not here to question, so I'll keep my mouth shut.

Do I trust Valé? No. But is her judgement rarely wrong? Yes.

And after all, Amber must have at least one value to her in order to be a part of this. I mean it's clear why she chose me, not because we're friendly but because she knows I wouldn't go against this. Afterall, I have my reasons to despise the boys.

Plus, even if it weren't because of her, I still would have done this. I'm just glad someone else agrees, and isn't scared of the outcome.