54 ✘ the worst is yet to come

MISSED ME? OF course, not Cassie

I put on a smile though, steering away from Caleb's eyes which I know are burned into me. Because he knows why I am afraid of the water.

When it's obvious I'm not going to answer she smiles further, the corner of her painted lips tugging higher at my inability to get anything out. I swallow down the slaughter of bad thoughts bound to invade me.

"I hope you don't mind I'm here, it's just that—" she sniffles, holding a squared napkin to her eye as it absorbs unshed tears, "After hearing the news I just couldn't not be here."

"I bet you couldn't."

Cassie smiles and I hate her for it. How does she seem so unaffected? No, why is she able to continue on like nothing ever happened? Why her and not me?

"I'm a bit parched. Does anyone have water?" She eyes me as she says the last word, a reminder.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" Winter pushes, making Cassie's request for water die down on her tongue.

"Cassie Duvall, I'm Luca's... ex—girlfriend."

Winter nods, "Right, so why are you here?" I make a noise at the back of my throat; Sage lets out a little snicker and she's even got Mr Cathans hiding his smirk by the sentence.

Reid however, sensing where this is going steps in breaking the tension. "I can show you where the water is," he offers the blonde—haired girl.

Cassie pouts, obviously upset with her lack of ability to control the situation. "But I was just about to answer the question —"

"I don't really think that'll be good for you Cassie."

"But Reidy!"

Reidy? I swallow down my disbelief at the nickname.

"Let her answer the question Reidy," Winter pokes her fun, mocking the nickname.

He takes one good look at her and sighs defeatedly as if he simply can't say no, "fine." He steps away, unblocking the view the two girls have of each other.

Cassie smiles wider, her pearly whites being contrasted to the pinkish red of her lip-gloss. "I'm here because Atlas called me."

I become alert once again and Cassie now holds the entire room's attention with that. But in an obvious Cassie Duvall manner she takes Reid's arm and leaves the room leaving everyone but Atlas in shock at the confession.

Mr Cathans clears his throat, and Mom is too busy looking over Luca to completely gauge the conversation as her eyes flicker up to us after the door closes to see who's left. When she realises it's not me, she regains her focus.

"Well, Mariam and I will be back. It's obvious you kids have something to sort out." Mr Cathans begins as the tension in the room goes thick at the new unveiling.