28 ✘ are you starving, delvaúx?

"YOU'RE OUT ALL the time," Mom sighs, passing me a cloth to wipe the apple juice I've just spilled

"YOU'RE OUT ALL the time," Mom sighs, passing me a cloth to wipe the apple juice I've just spilled. "ለምን መቼም ቤት አይደለሽም?" She asks, her eyes flickering up to me.

I'm about to answer her question before the familiar sound of a notification vibrates against the back pocket of my jeans.

I smile sheepishly and Mom groans before snatching the cloth out of my hand. When she turns around I slip my phone out of my phone, checking who it is that's texted.

baileys crib (ft. rats)

con: anyone free? we haven't hung out in ages outside of school :(

bailes: stop this is making me so sad
bailes: no not free today :(
bailes: mom is dragging to me
water aerobics with her

ari: lmfaooo WATER aerobics?
ari: bitch you can't even swim
ari: but can't hang out either connie have to take care of the littles
ari: pls kill me

me: busy today
me: have you asked meredith?

I regret the text straight after I sent it, because Meredith Dell-Cheng was on the list as well and she was forced to move by her parents. Other than the group she was another friend of Constance's who occasionally joined the already bustling friendship group. We haven't heard from her since her move.

me: omg i'm so stupid!!!
me: i totally forgot
me: wanna hang tomorrow?

con: its fine. and yeah, maybe.

The sinking feeling of guilt hits me momentarily, forgotten once another notification pops up in my phone. Caleb Delvaùx has left their house. I click onto it and am transported to the app, where the red icon has left the Delvaùx's estate.

Let me explain: This story dates back to my birthday when Bailey had gifted me a tracking device, as a corny joke hinting at the fact that I always lose my personal belongings and therefore take hers — har har. Anyway, I didn't throw away the present like she thought I did. In fact I kept it, and for good reason because turns out it's come in very handy.

Yesterday night after the party Caleb had miraculously asked to drive me home noticing I hadn't driven myself there, with a coy smile I agreed and purposefully left my phone in his car.

I'd gone up the stairs quickly to get the tracking device before I ran back down — Caleb was still in the car when I'd come down and I'd knocked on the window, feigning forgetfulness I opened the door and reached for my phone and swapping it with the device.