23 ✘ mother-in-law

"WHAT DO YOU mean, you can't attend Halloween, we're supposed to make our entrance there Atlas!" I groan, looking down at him from the top of his bed

"Are you still counting?" He puffs out, and I peer over from where my books are splayed out doing my homework. He's currently situated on the floor, doing push—ups.

"Atlas take it seriously, and yes you're on fifty—six, now fifty—seven." fifty—eight, fifty—nine.

"I mean I don't want to go," He answers, with full coherence.

"What about everything I worked for!" I complain, moving closer to the edge of the bed, sixty—two, sixty—three.

"You mean walking into your stingy dad's law firm and accessing a super confidential email. That super hard work?"

I roll my eyes but don't say anything. He's got me there.

"Fine, don't go to Halloween, I don't care." I cross my arms, fully well knowing I'm acting childish but I dont stop. Atlas on the other hand is still bulldozing through his second set of pushups. "Oh and Atlas?" He looks up at me, "I know you slept with Cassie DuVall the other week." It's at that he goes flying down, breaking his streak. I want to smile self—satasifed but I don't feel it.

When Valé had called me after the thunderstorm and told me how I should 'check up on my boyfriend's loyalty' I instantly knew he'd gone out and done something fishy, then she dropped the name 'Cassie DuVall,' and I'd gotten angry, I mean I practically saw red. Cassie DuVall? Is her fucking serious?

"Who told you that?" He asks as he gets up.

"You aren't even going to deny it?"

"I mean, do you want me to lie to your face?" He shrugs, getting up from the floor and changing his exercise, I watch as he lays flat on the floor, his bronze abs stretching out as he gets ready to do sit—ups.

"You're such an asshole! You don't think for two seconds how this is going to affect me? Affect us!"

Atlas' brown eyes meet mine from where he is. "Why don't you come over and sit on my legs so I can do some sit—ups? Be useful." When I'd told him to hang out, I didn't think me assisting him with his ACL—tear—friendly exercise was on the list. Actually, I don't think any of the exercises he's doing are actually allowed but since Atlas is a brick wall and listens to no one but himself I don't go around verbalising my concerns.

I don't move an inch, and instead of raising my voice, I breathe out. "Take this seriously."

"What do you want me to say, I'm sorry?" Yes! "I'm not, I was horny and needed to get it out of my system,"

"Then you call me! Not Cassie DuVall who'll tell half the school she slept with you." She probably already has, and now I look like an idiot because I've been acting smitten, waiting until Halloween when I know Silvers will report on us. "I look like an idiot, even though it was you who cheated."