46 ✘ i'd rather lose someboy than use somebody

Caleb

Caleb.Delvaùx@gmail.com
I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

[email can not reach the sender]

"VALÉ YOU HAVE to go to school." I'd known it was mom who entered my room even before she'd spoken. The light tapping of her feet against the tile of my floors is a drastic difference from Dad's louder approach.

She comes around to the edge of my bed and takes a seat there, I feel it dip slightly against the weight.

I hear the familiar sound of pages being flipped through and I can visualise she's opened one of my books on my bedside table. I quickly open an eye to see which book it is, sighing in relief when noticing it's not anything bad.

She turns around catching me in my endeavours with my one eye open and I know it's no use to pretend to be asleep anymore — not that she'd believed I was anyway. "I'm still sick." I cough pathetically into my hand.

Mom places the back of her palm on my forehead, and shakes her head at the lack of temperature — I'm at normal heat. "አራት ቀን ሆኖታል since you've gotten sick." I don't answer verbally though I do believe four days is simply not enough for a sickness. "I spoke to Mariam," Nadia's mothers name causes a stir to occur and I rise, letting the sheets drape at my waist. "She said Nadia's sick too, ለምን?"

"We probably got the same illness." I lie, eyes squinting as they adjust to the light she's turned on upon entering. Looking at where the book is I check my digital clock. Seven am flashes.

"አትዋሸኝ።" Mom warns.

"I'm not." I totally am lying.

"You're going ወደ ትምህርት ቤት። You only have one week before the holidays."

One more week I have to see Caleb around. But Mom doesn't know that, she'd kill me if she knew what I'd been doing. Especially if it included a boy in the picture.

"Fine," I grunt, peeling off the sheets from me as she gets up as well. "I'll be downstairs in like two minutes." I promise.

I go to grab my old phone that's stashed away at the bottom of one of my drawers, Constance still has my normal one. I told mom and dad I broke it the other day and am getting it fixed so they aren't on my case about it.

I need my phone back but I haven't reached out since the incident, she hasn't reached either, and to be honest I don't know what I'd even say to her.

Fuck you, would be the ideal place to start.

I slip on my white silk robe with the fluffy cuffs and head out of my room immediately, contemplating taking either the stairs or elevator for a few patronising seconds. I settle for the stairs when I realise the elevator is more steps away from me. Laziness at its finest, I know.