Son petit minou

I tossed my yo-yo between my hands impatiently, my feet dangling off the edge of a building. I let out a sigh and checked my messages once more. The sudden flash of artificial, white brightness sent my eyes into shock temporarily and after recovering, I let my eyes adapt to the darkness once more. Fifteen minutes late, I thought to myself while shaking my head in disapproval. As though the boy in question heard what was on my mind, he sprung up from overhead, clearly making his way over to me. 

"Took your time. Paris isn't going to save itself," I lectured, poking him repetitively in the chest. 

"Awh, why so snappy? Did ya miss me? Also, why should I take care of Paris when you do it all for me?" He vocalized, his brows suggestively raising a bit. 

Is Adrien really this cocky? I inwardly spoke, trying my best not to slip even a giggle. I just still can't believe they're the same person sometimes.

"Oh, yeah. You're right. I took care of Paris all by myself while you were 'busy,'" I said, using my fingers as quotations marks with full intent of sarcasm.

"Hey! I was 'busy,'" he replied, using quotations as well, just to mock me. He let out a sigh and put his hand to his messy hair, giving it a little ruffle. He is probably thinking of an excuse, I considered curiously, excited to see what he had to offer.

"I'm sure you were. Very busy, indeed," I stated in amusement, letting out a fake yawn. I could see Chat getting a tad annoyed, but he was aware I was just messing around. 

"It was just a short trip. You know that if something went wrong, I would be back in an instant," he said with a gracious bow, continuing this little game between the two of us. If only he knew I was over-seas with him, I snickered. 

"What? What do you think you're laughing at, bugaboo?" He pressed again. I wiped a false tear from my eye, still in a fit of giggles as the situation I got myself stuck in. After settling down, I re-gained my composure.

"Wait, did you say bugaboo? I thought you dropped the nicknames," I questioned, making fun of him in the process. Though I was genuinely interested as to why he suddenly did so. He didn't respond, but clearly not because he didn't want to. It seemed as though he was contemplating certain things, searching for an answer he was unable to give to himself. I pressed on. "Ah, I see~ I'm your favourite again, am I?"

"What? No- I mean," he cleared his throat and started over, clearly getting back into character. "You have always been my favourite, L.B," he said sincerely, but his words still had a mischievous tone to it. 

"Have been? Am I not your #1 anymore?" I pouted as I struck a dramatic pose, pretending to be so very offended. But deep down, I realised I was a little disheartened.

"N-no it's not like that. I just- you're very special to me. You always will be. But, well," he continued rambling hopelessly, gesturing all over the place with his hands. A part of me yearned to be fully sympathetic and understanding. The other part, felt deflated and crushed. Guess Adrien is no longer Ladybug's biggest fan, I sulked to myself. 

"Hey, hey. It's okay. Found someone special?" I said behind my gritted teeth. I felt content knowing he was happy, but discouraged knowing I was no longer his priority. 

"Ah, I don't know. I'm still figuring it out, but they also mean a lot to me. I just want to protect her," he responded meekly, playing with his tail a little in distraction. I felt my high-spirited attitude begin to dwindle and diminish, along with my confidence.

"I'm happy for you," I mentioned again, filling up the empty silence.  

"Thanks, Ladybug," he said looking up back to me, truly glad I was supporting him. His eyes looked tired, and his posture and shoulders were slouched. I've been with this boy long enough to know when he's trying to hide things, we are partners after all. Whatever was happening right now in his life, he was clearly fighting something.