Sweet Sixteen

Today was a momentous day for me. Not just because it was my birthday, but my sixteenth birthday- the day I will finally receive my soulmate tattoo. With great effort, I flop out of bed, landing face first onto the floor.

Although receiving your tattoo is inevitable, I had dreaded this day since my mother told me about the tattoos that connected soulmates together when I was younger. Now, that dread has somewhat been replaced with utter excitement.

"Oh, Marinette. Are you okay?" The small Kwami hovered above me with a look of concern and worry.

I decided to laugh it off, wincing a bit.

"Of course, I'm fine Tikki. Just a little clumsy." I straightened up to keep my head from spinning.

"So, special day is it, Marinette?"

I nudged her playfully, and lightly- not wanting to hurt her small figure.

"Of course, it's my birthday Tikki!" I look up at the smaller creature with hope.

"Have you looked yet?"

"What do you mean?"

"The tattoo! On your wrist?"

I couldn't believe how oblivious I was. Being all caught up in my own excitement, I hadn't even looked at my wrist yet. I got up from the floor where I recently fell and trudged over to my mirror. I look up at Tikki, who nodded enthusiastically as I grabbed one of my flannel pyjama sleeves, slowly lifting it. This was it. Millions of thoughts seemed to whirr around in my head. Bracing myself, I lifted up the sleeve above my wrist to reveal...

nothing.

"Marinette? Where is it? Where is your tattoo?" The Kwami clearly confused and anxious towards my reaction to come.

"Oh thank god- It's not here yet." I was somewhat relieved that it hadn't appeared on my wrist.

"Is something wrong? Doesn't the tattoo come before you wake up?" Tikki was still slightly distressed, being as excited as Marinette was to finally see her Tattoo.

"No, no- don't worry Tikki. It's completely natural. It comes at a different time for everyone. It's just that, most teenagers get it before they wake. Some develop throughout the day, appearing out of no where." The relief I had felt instantly left. Now the tattoo would show up randomly. And I wouldn't even know when.

"That's wonderful news Marinette! We'll probably be at school when it happens."

I could only let out a light chuckle. Yeah... wonderful. I don't understand why I'm panicking so much. It's a mixture of both excitement and dread I'm feeling. But dread, why am I feeling dread?

A distant memory, but not a forgotten one, appeared at the back of Marinette's head.

She was a young girl. Four, maybe five.

"Mama?"

"Yes darling?" her mother smiled sweet like sugar, looking down on the small, blue eyed child.

"Why do you have that mark on your arm?" Young Marinette questioned her mother, pointing at her wrist, her sparkling eyes filled with wonder. On her own mothers wrist was a tattoo of a pastry- Marinette found it quite amusing.

"Well hun, when you turn sixteen years old, you will get a tattoo, just like I did. But, it'll be a little different from mine, you understand?" Her mum paused waiting for a nod before continuing.

"What do they mean, why does papa have one too?" Marinette was still bewildered. Both her parents had matching ones.

"It's a symbol of love, my darling. When you get your tattoo, your soulmate will receive his when he turns 16 also. If you find someone with a matching tattoo, you belong together. Just like me and your father, it's simple."

Marinette sat down for a moment to process what she was told, playing with her untied shoelaces. Slowly, she looked up at her mother.

"Does it hurt?" Tears began to well in her eyes, lips trembling.

"Receiving the tattoo? No, no sweetheart, of course it doesn't. You probably wont even notice it's there at first." Her mother gave her a warm, comforting smile before scooping her off her feet and into her arms. The young child only cried more.

"W-what if they hate me, or they don't like me when they see me." She stated in a child like manner, waving her arms around to emphasise her doubts to her mother.

"You know what I think?" Her mother said, wiping a single tear that caressed Marinette's cheek.

"What?" Marinette inquired, forcing a pout onto her small face.

"I think... anyone who has the same tattoo as you, the one destined to be your soulmate, will be the luckiest person in Paris- the world even," she said staring down at the teary eyed girl in her arms.

"You think so?" Young Marinette pressed on.

"I know so."

The memory ended, leaving Marinette staring at her own reflection.

Maybe her mum was right. It wouldn't be so bad. After all, this is a legendary day of celebration, not crippling self doubt. She threw her clothes on in a slight rush, noticing the time being, well, not on time.

"I think everything is going to be okay, Tikki," Marinette sighed, an out-loud thought.

"What are you talking about?" The floating one questioned.

"Ah, um- nothing. Don't worry about it." She gestured her hand towards her purse, inviting Tikki to head inside it before going downstairs for breakfast. Tikki humbly accepted the offer and flies in with a blink. Glancing at the time once more, she picks up the pace.

"Slow down, slow down," a voice came from the kitchen.

"Sorry ma, I've got to get going. I'm late for school- gah! Look at the time," Marinette says biting into a croissant running over to her mother to give her a hug.

"Now, Marinette. Surely you haven't forgotten, darling. Your Tattoo! Did you check for it?"

"Yes ma, It's not here yet. I checked."

Marinette's mother was convinced, giving her a hug.

"Don't you worry too much about it, sweetheart. I'm sure it will turn up today, hopefully during school, before you come home!" The girl's cheeks were pinched by her mum as she said her goodbye's and was reminded to help her father with the baking once she came home.

Stepping outside the girl felt her face flush pink as the cool air chilled around her. In her long sleeved grey sweater, she crossed her arms in attempt to shield herself from the cold.

"Bit chilly, isn't it Tikki?"

The blue haired girl looked down into her purse to see the small Kawami quiver. She closed it back up to keep in the warmth.

Well, she thought. Time for school.

A/N: Art by Arinyac on tumblr