Oasis of books

Both me and Adrien find a secluded spot in the corner of the library, where the old, abandoned books emitted a fruity-like almond odor. It truly felt like the two of us were in our own little world. You could see the dust particles dancing in the air as the sunlight beamed through the windows, warmth seeping through the cracks. I take a seat on a cushy lounge, dumping my work onto a small table, Adrien doing the same. We have removed ourselves from all distractions and bustling of other students, now we just had to get into the task at hand. With Lila gone, I take in a large amount of air, exhaling it out- the dust along with it. I feel my head bob up and down, my body forcing me to keep my eyes open. 

"Marinette? You like really tired," Adrien said with guilt portrayed on his face. He looked down at his notes and played with his pencil. "Do you want to take a break? Maybe you should go home." I look up at the boy. His eyes focusing on the papers below him, his face hidden from mine. 

Oh, that's right. He may feel guilty because I came to school after all that happened last night. He still doesn't know I saw him as Chat Noir.

"Ah, don't worry about it, really. I'm fine. Let's just focus on the chemistry assignment."

I need to do my best for Adrien. Show him I'm not tired, that there is no reason he should feel worried or responsible for my current state. He's the injured one here. 

"You haven't been yourself for a while, Adrien. I'm just glad to see your somewhat back to normal," I say sympathetically. Although I would usually feel that his recent causes of distress is his difficult home-life, I have a feeling the answer is his tattoo.  

"Thanks for helping me back there, by the way." The blonde one said, playing with the rims of his sleeves. "I'm not sure what Lila's intentions were," he said reaching down under the desk to get more books from his bag before returning shortly after.

Hah, I have a feeling I do, I think to myself  trying hard not to express my loathing. 

"I could tell you were uncomfortable so, I was just doing my best to help. I've noticed her stalking you around school lately so, stay aware. It's no problem, really," I smiled and began to look over my report paragraphs and collecting the research. There was a comfortable silence between us, as we were both separately writing our report paragraphs that we would soon combine and edit together. Every so often, we take a momentary break and discuss the direction of our work and try to corroborate our paragraphs. Although I'm just doing work, I'm learning to adjust to the fact that the boy in front of me is Chat Noir, and also Adrien Agreste. I look up for a moment to stare into his emerald eyes. 

It really is him. How could I not have seen it before. It's hard not to act so comfortable around Adrien now that I know he's my trusted partner, but I'll continue to try to be the Marinette that he knows. I tear my eyes off the boy, as I noticed I was staring for a little too long. Suddenly, from the corner of my eye I spot something in the reflection of the glass window that faced the table we sat upon. I continued pretending to gaze out the window, eyes fixated on the figure crouching down behind a nearby bookshelf. 

No way, that crazy little-

"The view is quite nice from the window, look Adrien," I said gesturing towards the window whilst looking at Adrien, a more serious tone coming from my voice. The both of us silently gazed out of the window for a minute. After staring long enough for Adrien to understand the situation, we casually look down back at our work to not look suspicious, he makes brief eye contact with me, confirming he saw what I saw. There was a look of unsettlement and worry in Adrien's eyes and his posture. He crouched over the desk more and gripped his wrist.

At the sight of this self-conscious boy, I felt my blood boil. An unsettling silence grew between the two of us while I seek the reflection in the window once more. I could see Lila's hands gripping the sides of the bookshelf, peering over the sides like an animal in hiding. It was hard to see her properly through the glare of the window, but the one feature that stood out on her face was her malicious smile. Slowly, she dissolved away, starting to disappear along with the bookshelves that kept her hidden. No way am I putting up with this. Adrien doesn't deserve to have people prying at him all day for their own selfish curiosity. With the remaining courage and the last of my energy, I open my mouth. My voice cuts through the serene and still environment, disturbing the old, slumbering books, and the students who typed away at the opposing end of the library. The thick dust particles that once captured the afternoons sun were suddenly scattered and disturbed.

"Lila, get back here."

I can feel my eyebrows furrow as I grit my teeth impatiently for her to come out of hiding. Suddenly, she perkily pops her head around the corner, her eye's squinting with a cheery smile spread across her face.

"Oh, sorry! I was looking for the non-fiction section. Where even is that, this place is huge," she gapes tracing her finger over the worn books beside her, showing disgust as she makes contact with the dust for a second.

"You would have passed that when you came in, Lila. Clearly you weren't looking very hard," I snap, trying hard to contain myself. 

"Ah, silly me. It must be my eyes, they've been playing up lately. I'm having difficulties like, registering things," she exclaims confidently rubbing her eyes and blinking a little for effect. I look over at Adrien, he looks as doubtful and unamused by I am. 

"Look, Lila. If this is about studying together, I told you I'm a little busy at the moment. I'll tutor you soon, I promise," Adrein said clearing his throat, almost nervous to speak. 

"Of course, Adrien! I'm so sorry for distracting you once again, I just really need to be on top of my work soon. Let me know when your not busy," she beamed and held up a peace sign before scampering away once more. 

Agh, she got away! I wasn't finished interrogating her. What was she doing here? Why is she overly attached to Adrien now? I begin to stomp my way after Lila, determined to obtain an answer but I'm grabbed by the shoulder and pulled back. 

"Don't worry about it Marinette, she just isn't worth it. We have our chemistry report anyway," Adrien says. He's right, she's not worth it. I'll figure this out later. I close my eyes and breathe in the air, exhaling my frustrations away. After containing myself, Adrien and I sit down and continue to work. 

Finally, Adrien and I fix up the errors and combine our paragraphs into the report. Feel satisfied for the day, I hold my hand out towards him, holding a fist bump out of habit. 

Oh, no. I didn't mean to do that. What if he knows I'm Ladybug. Ah, that was a bad idea, put the hand down! My thoughts are interrupted when Adrien presses his own hand against mine. 

"Pound it? You must be a big Ladybug and Chat Noir fan," Adrien giggles.

That could've been much worse, I consider. 

"Yes, of course! Ladybug and Chat Noir- I'm a huge fan. Of them. Both of them," I said laughing nervously. It's a good thing that everyone knows our signature fist bump, or that would've exposed me. 

Adrien and I part just as the bell for lunch rings. In class, I am unable to focus on the given work or what's being said. All I can think about is my hatred for Lila and the fact that I'm excited to see Chat tonight at night patrol. Chat who is also Adrien Agreste. Ah, I still can't believe it. 

I rest my tired head against the cool desk, giving me some relief. I feel myself slowly drift away, the teacher's words muffled, drifting in one ear and out the next. As my eyes become heavy, I feel my posture relax as I doze the rest of the afternoon away, looking forward for the night ahead.