Chemistry

The boy considered himself lucky to be working with Marinette as his partner, not to mention relieved he didn't have to go with Lila. She was often too clingy at times. Sometimes, Adrien wondered if Lila was being her true, authentic self. He glanced down at his hand where Marinette had drawn a small smiley face, a reminder that he looks happier today. He traced his finger over it, grinning. Marinette is so sweet, always worrying about others, he admitted. What the boy liked most is that she didn't force him to show his tattoo, she had no intentions to even look at it. He respected that.

"So, what should we start on?" He questioned towards the blue haired girl sitting next to him.

"Uh, I'll be honest, I have no clue where to begin." The girl giggled a little looking down, eyes locked on the instructions with concentration. Adrien had started noticing that the girl had been stuttering a little less since the beginning of last week. For some reason, Marinette had always been intensely nervous around him. The boy figured that she hated him, but after consulting her about it a while ago, he found that wasn't the case. Marinette had apologised imminently telling the boy that she never intended to make him feel like she hated him. He could see the kindness in her eyes- and actions. It was not measurable. She would always seek justice and help her friends and peers, no matter the cost. Her qualities reminded the boy of a certain ladybug he knew, only less confident and more clumsy, especially around Adrien. Nino had always figured that it was because she had a crush on him but Adrien didn't think Marinette saw him that way- and neither did he quite feel that way towards her. 

She's just a friend, he thought to himself.

He looked over at Marinette who was fiddling with her pencil, twirling it between her fingers, reading the assignment task. This was not the time to get distracted, the boy reasoned with himself, trying to set his eyes back on the instructions. He quickly smacked his face to snap out of it, receiving a funny glance from Marinette. After discussing their approach to the assignment, they needed to plan where to work on it. They boy figured that his father wouldn't be favourable of him bringing guests over.

"I'm fine with working on it at my house, if you like? We can use the school Library too! There are plenty of resources there," the girl proclaimed looking back up at the boy for confirmation. He nodded in agreement. They went to exchange numbers before realising they already had each-other's contacts. The bell rang not long after and the class began to pack up.

"So, should we start it tonight? Meet at my house after school?" Marinette questioned looking up at the boy, determination spread across her face. Adrien was almost taken back by her sudden spike of confidence. She isn't stammering? He thought gladly.

"Sure sounds good, I'll see you then," the boy gave her a cheerful smile pointing to the small smiley face that was draw on his hand before leaving the room.

I can not believe I just did that. I just invited him over, just like that. Well, there weren't many other options. No way could we do it at his house- with that strict father of his. Oh well, I had began removing all pictures of Adrien from my room anyway, ever since my tattoo surfaced. It would only take me another 10 minutes or so before they were completely gone.

Picking up my bag and my books, I head to the bathroom before going into next period. Just as I'm about to wash my hands, Tikki flies out from my purse.

"Tikki! What are you doing? Someone might see you!" I whisper shouted, my eyes darted around the quiet room.

"Relax, Marinette. No one is here," the kwami says pointing to the empty toilet stalls. "Are we going to talk about what happened back there? Look at you, Miss confident," the kwami said giggling and poking me with amusement. I just rolled my eyes.

"It's assessment Tikki. And I'm not as flustered around him anymore, if that's what you're wondering." I rolled up my sleeves glancing at my tattoo, sighing sadly while washing my hands. I leave the restroom with Tikki in my purse and head to the next class.

I practically sprint home, tearing my door down and begin collecting the remaining pictures of Adrien in my room, throwing them into the deep, dark depths of my closet. I tidy my desk, setting aside the mountains of homework and other half finished tasks. I definitely should've tidied up earlier. I open up the closet again to be greeted with hundreds of pictures of Adrien's face before shoving the rest of my clothes that were scattered on that floor that morning. Seconds later, a knock can be heard from the door.

"I'll get it!" I shouted to no one in particular whilst scrambling downstairs, almost tripping. Opening the door, I'm greeted by the boy with tired emerald eyes. Inviting him inside, we head up into my room to work on the chemistry assignment.

We only had to work on the written part, since we did the experiment in class. Gathering our data and looking at the reaction times, we discuss theories and hypothesise what happened. Adrien was far more intelligent than me, he understood what happened during the experiment and each of the causes. I kept glancing at my textbook practically begging it to tell me what to do.

"Need some help?" The boy looked at me, probably noticing how confused I was. I simply nod and he reaches across me for my textbook. He starts flipping a few pages until he finds the right chapter. I may be less awkward around him but when he gets too close I get a little flustered still, I thought. Couldn't I have just handed him the book... why did I have to make him reach over me like that. Adrien looked unfazed by what happened and continued to assist me with the work and gave an in-depth explanation when I didn't understand. Of course he doesn't care about that, we're friends. It's normal. The longer we worked, the darker it grew outside. Together, we finished at least one third of the assignment. And he did most of it as well.

Aside from the work, Adrien was really fun to hang around with. There were a few times when we reached for the same pencil or glanced at each other at the exact same time- resulting in a few blushes, just like the time we practised playing video games together. But overall, it was comfortable. Sadly, when the sun began to set, Adrien had to leave.

"I've got to head home Marinette. I think we can get more done tomorrow. How about lunchtime at the library?" The tired boy questioned while packing up his things.

"That sounds great, see you then." I gave him a small wave on his way out of my room. He's definitely feeling better, I'm so relieved.

A/N: Hello lovelies! I hope the story is okay so far-If not, sorry :( I'll keep trying my best. Thanks for 900 reads, that's freaking amazinggggg. ^^ Have a wonderful day x