Sorrow

The sky was dark and empty, the lamp posts beings the main source of light that glowed upon the empty streets. Fire-flies hovered over the lake with a dazzling glow, pleasing my eyes and easing the atmosphere. 

"Your ice creams, my dear," André said, handing me two cones. I look across the bridge where Chat Noir leaned against the rail, looking out at nothing in particular. Letting out a small sigh, I turned back to the famous ice-cream vendor. His tattoo was something special, one of the largest I had ever seen. The colourful ink travelled from his wrist to almost the top of his shoulder. I took the two ice cream from his hands, smiling sweetly. 

"Thanks André, sorry to bother you at this time of night," I said sincerely.

"It's no problem Ladybug! Anything for the heroes of Paris, after all, you work so hard each night. It's the least I can do to reward you with such a sweet!" The boisterous man responded. Waving him goodbye, I head back over to Chat. 

Why is Adrien acting so strange tonight? I think to myself. He was like this weeks ago too. 

"Chat? I've got your ice cream," I said calmly approaching him, extending my arm out. He doesn't respond for a moment. Silently, and deadly still, he continues to stare out into empty space. 

"Not hungry. Thanks though," The messy, blonde haired boy responds, his eyes still focused on nothing. I let out a sigh and join him at his side, to which I feel his body tense. 

"Something wrong?" I decided to say it rather bluntly, knowing that direct questions impact him best.

"No," he responded. 

That was twice as blunt, I think to myself, licking away the two melting ice creams. He's been avoiding me all throughout the shift, and taking different routes so we wouldn't cross paths, I thought to myself, trying to be a detective and analyse the situation. He was worse weeks ago, an akuma almost got to him one night. But- I thought he was feeling better? Now he's back in this state. What's going on with him? I look to the right, noticing he has deliberately turned his head a little so that I can't see his face. I open my mouth to speak again, yet I'm cut off.

"I've got to go Ladybug. See you later," he says hastily, still not facing my direction. Before he jumps off, I yank him back by the tail. 

"No you don't, kitty. I'm not letting you go until you tell me what's wrong. Let me help you," I announce. His head sinks and his shoulders droop. 

"Please- let me go," he says inaudibly. Every fiber of my body was screaming at me to leave him be, yet I couldn't do it. I can't let someone hurting go on like this. 

"Just tell me what's wrong," I continue boldly, determined to help my partner. I stare at the back of his figure, trying to calculate his emotions. It's silent once again. The only sound to be herd was the subtle fluttering sound of the fire-flies that hovered over the river, and the hushed honks of cars in the far away distance. Suddenly, I was alerted by Chat's voice cutting through the silence. 

"I just can't anymore," he uttered softly. I keep my mouth shut, urging for him to continue. 

"Cant-Cant do it anymore," Chat mumbles again, barely audible. He turns slightly so that I get a glimpse of the side of his face, tears visibly stinging his eyes. I felt my heart twist up at the sight.

"Can't do what, Chat? What cant you keep doing?" I pause again, awaiting his response. 

"Pretending."

I stay frozen, but gently let go of his tail. I'm left speechless, unsure of what to say. What does he mean? Pretending to what? I look back up, the boy already wiping away the tears that had prickled his eyes, a soft smile portrayed on his sullen face. 

"Ah, forget it. It's nothing serious, really. I'll be going now, au revoir." 

Suddenly, with a blink of an eye, the little black cat disappeared into the night.

And with that, the field-trip was fast approaching.

A/N: Thanks for 13K reads <3