Arrival

Everyone was exhausted. We collectively dragged our feet out of the plane which we had spent almost a full day on. Although we left Paris at around 9am, it was around the same time in Australia. The moment I stepped off the plane, my body immediately felt the change of temperature, including the fresh air. The environment was totally different, and I still hadn't fully entered the airport. Though everyone was tired, there was still a gleam of excitement in everyone's eyes. 

"Alright, no wondering off now! We are doing a roll call so stick together," Ms Bustier said, calling out over top of the loud planes that soared across the sky outside. I took a moment to look around, waiting for my name to be called. Even the airport was unique. Trees were evenly spaced out indoors, and although they were tall it was no where near reaching the monstrous ceiling. There was a wall, close to a McDonalds, where green vines and plants hung from. There were also countless of different takeaway shops and clothing stores I've never heard of- not that there was a lot of takeaway in Paris. 

"What kind of takeaway joint is called Red Rooster?" Adrien says from beside me, nudging me playfully. I was a little surprised he was close by. Being so caught up in everything happening around me I didn't notice. 

"I know, I've seen some crazy names too. The McDonalds back there was just called 'Maccas.' Australians truly are something else," I responded back. My name was finally called out and marked on the roll as we continued walking towards the bus, that would soon take us to our hotel after a few stops. 

"Marinette! Oh there you are. Look, look!" Alya said almost tackling me. Where did she get the sudden energy from when everyone else is drained?  I looked in the direction she was pointing. There was a huge store labelled 'City Beach' where swimsuits were displayed, clearly on sale. Rose suddenly appeared by my side, whining a little. 

"Awh, are you serious? We should've bought our swimmers here- they even have a discount!" Rose pulled Juleka towards the store, the teachers stopping them and pushing them back into the line.

"There are so many stores in this airport. It's kinda weird. Everyone has a crazy accent too, have you heard them speak yet?" Alya said, jumping around. At this point I had zoned out and stopped listening, wishing I could just fall into a soft, comfy bed.

"At least it isn't hot. I thought I was going to melt, this isn't too bad!" Alya said again, looking at the others for their response.

"That's because we aren't outside yet. You realise the airport is fully airconditioned right?" I told her, probably crushing her hopes of staying cool this trip. We continue walking, everyone simply admiring the new, fresh environment. 

"We are almost at the bus kids, make sure you have all your belonging as we won't be able to come back if you lose anything," Ms Bustier orders. I briskly check my pockets and ensure I have both bags. After everyone is ready we begin to head outside, the large automatic doors began sliding apart. And suddenly, as though everyone had the same reaction, we were taken back by the gush of hot air.

"Oh my god. This is ridiculous- utterly ridiculous! You expect us to live in this heat?" Chloé said, removing her stylish jacket. "This is going to mess up my hair, you know? How do people stand this?" The girl cursed, slowly making her way up into the bus. I simply rolled my eyes. She was overreacting a little, but it's clear we were all thinking something similar. It was like there was no moving air, even if there was, it was hot. Looking around, most citizens and travellers don't seem overly bothered by the heat. Just our class and other foreigners. 

"So this is an Australian Summer?" Alya said a little overwhelmed, reaching for the water bottle in her bag.

"Actually, it's only spring here," I told her, patting her back. She slumped in her seat in absolute misery. To that gesture, I simply laughed.