Sorrowful search

I bit my nails and rocked slightly in my chair. I couldn't hear a thing. My racing heartbeat blocked out the hustle and bustle of the class room. I wiped my cold, clammy hands on my sleeves, shaking my leg up and down. My knee occasionally bumped under the desk and made a loud thud of a sound. 

He wasn't back yet. 

I can't believe this is real, I swore to myself. My head was spiraling out of control. So much was happening that to a certain extent, I felt nothing. Only numbness. 

Adrien and I have matching tattoos. So close. I was so close to showing him mine too. Are we really sou-

"Marinette! Snap out of it," Alya grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me with vigour. 

"Huh, what?" I stuttered absently. 

The teacher was still trying to settle everyone down. My peers were still ecstatic, unable to handle Lila's latest news. Class work had been scattered, lining the floors. Pencil cases tipped off the desks, contents spilling from them. Some students simply froze, there mouths' hanging open. Some of them were frantic with shock. 

"Adrien's your soulmate, Lila?" someone shouted from the back.

"This is such a rare tattoo case!" 

"Lucky."

"Congratulations, I can't believe it." 

My head whipped around to face the back of the classroom. Then to the front. And then the back again. My eyes were torn from peer to peer, widening with each of their exchanges. I was finally coming to my senses. Looking around the room, I realized I was no longer trapped within myself.

"This is such wonderful news!" another voice came. 

What were they talking about?  I felt my heartbeat begin to quicken. What were they saying?

"What news?" I chocked out as I reached for Alya. 

"Oh, that's right. You ran out of the classroom after him right before it happened," she said hesitantly. 

My eyes pierced her avoiding gaze. She was silent for a moment, opening and closing her mouth with uncertainty. I continued to stare into her soul as she shifted with discomfort. 

"Y-You see, Mari," she spat out, nervously scratching the back of her head. 

I know where this is going, I thought. I observed the class in realization. 

"Well, there's no easy way to say it. Listen calmly, Mari. Lila and Adrien were fated to be together," she let out a sigh. 

Of course. Lila would've told everyone. She's seen his tattoo- without him knowing about it. She's lied again. It's all a lie. 

"They're soulmates, Marinette." 

"But- she's isn't. She's not-" I fumble over my words, the frustration only boiling up inside me. I know for a fact that sneaky, scheming fox isn't Adrien's soulmate. Lila had been acting overly suspicious for weeks. Especially around Adrien. Now it makes sense!

"Not what?" Alya pressed. 

I simply turn away and try to block out the chaos taking place in the classroom. Alya waits for my response but pauses after considering I must've felt heartbroken about the situation. 

"Oh, I see. Of course, she's not meant for him, you're right. The matchup doesn't make sense. I'de rather die than be paired with Lila." 

That's right, he left. He's still not back. I want to see him. I need to see him.