Rooftops and reignition

The super-heroine in red watched as a swift black cat scaled the Eiffel tower, seeing him sit down on the edge, his feet dangling off the side of the structure.

Chat? Ladybug knew it was him. She couldn't see his face, or make out much of his body but she knew it was him judging by how the black shape in the distance moved efficiently and quickly up the large, glowing tower. If Ladybug started running now, she might make it there in time before she loses him again. She would not let him escape her, she needed answers.

The heroine began to run, her crimson red spandex costume contrasting in the darkness of the night, with the moon shining upon it. Vaulting over buildings and roofs soundlessly to not wake a single sleeping citizen, she arrived at the Eiffel tower. Chat Noir had sprung off once again, escaping to a nearby roof, unaware ladybug was following him.

When ladybug had finally caught up to the fleeing cat, she froze, unable to comprehend what was happening. Above Chat appeared to be a hovering akuma, awaiting to strike him. Glancing at his face, she realised the cat looked quite upset, hurt and emotionally damaged.

"Chat! Look ou-"

"Ladybug? How did you find me?" The tired boy looked up at her, eye brows furrowing with concern and worry. Why isn't it attacking him? She questioned while glancing at the akuma above him, which the boy was oblivious to. Was it waiting for him to become vulnerable? She looked into Chat Noir's sad, worn out eyes. What's wrong, why is he upset? She pondered.

"Chat listen, just- just come here okay?" The boy avoided her gaze, staring down at the roof he now stood on. Why wont he look at me? Chat's face looked guilty and rundown.

"Please just stay away," he whimpered, avoiding the heroine's gaze. "I just want to be left alone at the moment." He fiddled with his wrist, grasping it. The little akuma grew closer, it would attack at any moment. This isn't working, Ladybug reasoned. I need to choose my words carefully or he will no doubt get akumatised.

"Listen kitty, I'm not sure what you're going through, but we have been through worse together. I know you can get through this, just let me help you," Ladybug practically begged. "We are a team after all, remember?" Chat Noir tore his eyes off the ground, and met ladybug's gaze. Her heart skipped a beat as she saw the boy shed bitter tears from his sorrowful face. He smiled a small, worried looking smile.

"Yeah, y-your right. We are a team. But I just cant-"

The akuma noticed the boy at his most vulnerable state and began to float down upon him. Words are not working here, the girl thought to herself, biting her lip. Without thinking she started swinging her yo-yo and sent it hurtling towards Chat, wrapping it around his waist. He looked startled and couldn't quite register what was happening. Ladybug yanked on her yo-yo sending him flying a few metres towards her before embracing him into a clashing hug once they collided.

"H-hey, what are you...doing?" The crushed boy questioned the girl as she hugged him in silence, the akuma in her view, staggering as the boy's emotions became hard to read. The green eyed boy didn't know to react. He wanted to hug back desperately, but the thought of the tattoo on his wrist stopped him. Ladybug squeezed a little harder as if telling him, I'm here for you. You're safe. And suddenly, safety was all that he felt- an overwhelming amount of it, flowing through his body. The edges of his lips lifted slightly as another tear escaped down his cheek. Chat sighed in relief thinking, I'm home.

As the boy reached up to hug her back, the little purple butterfly halted. No longer feeling the negative emotions that emitted from the boy, it retreated.

I sat next to my partner Chat Noir, after a solid 5 minute hug. We laid down on the roof, staring at the twinkling stars together in a comfortable silence. After a little while, Chat spoke up.

"I'm sorry I've been ignoring you, Ladybug. It wasn't the right thing to do," He said unmoving, still looking up into the abyss of the night sky. As much as I would love to ask what he was going through so I could help him through it, it seemed like a fragile topic.

"That's alright kitty,"  I expressed to him, patting his head. "Even super heroes need a little break." After a few more minutes of quiet, he turned to face me. I mirrored his movements.

"Have you received your soulmate tattoo yet?" Chat asked me longingly, staring into the depths of my eyes awaiting an answer. I nodded in return, a little sad at the thought. Perhaps his tattoo doesn't match his- oh. Now I have a feeling I understand his situation. I began to feel slightly guilty, hoping it didn't have to do with his feeling for me. Something told me that was the case.  

"Yeah, I got mine too, not long ago," he replied to the nod I gave. "I guess... I don't know. I thought it would be different," the boy let out another sigh. I only looked at him with assurance, perhaps a bit of guilt due to the fact I wasn't the one portrayed on his arm.

"The same thing has happened to me with the boy I like," admitting it rather reluctantly, thinking of Adrien. Chat stared at me for a moment before looking back at the glinting stars. If  I accepted my fate, perhaps he could too. With the both of us still gazing up into the sky, I felt his hand rub against my own, offering me to accept it. He wasn't trying to be romantic or flirt with me- it was a simple, friendly gesture. I took it, knowing he needed some comfort and stability.

"We'll always be partners right?" The black cat asked the little red bug.

"You're more than just my partner Chat. You're my friend- and I'll always be your friend."

"Always?"

"Always."

One last tear slipped down his face, but not a tear of sadness, nor guilt. But a tear of fulfilment and relief. Chat Noir looked over at ladybug, wearing a smile.

"Thanks bugaboo, I knew I could rely on you."

"I'll always be here, kitty."

Although the black cat knew he would always have feelings for the little bug deep down, he was grateful to have Ladybug as his partner, and his friend. And that, that was something he would be eternally grateful for. Her friendship.