Chapter 30

Tzuyu steps on the gas and speeds past the mostly empty streets.

The radio crackles back to life after a few moments. Everyone share a surprised look on their faces, it's been long since they had communication with the outer world.

Survivors in and around Busan are advised to evacuate immediately. Those affected by the virus are proceeding to Busan in a huge number. According to our calculations they should reach Busan in about two hours. We repeat, anyone alive, head to the Central Hospital in Busan. A helicopter will arrive exactly at midday tomorrow. Until then, don't make any noise, don't draw attention to yourself. Reach the hospital and stay low until the rescue team arrives.

The radio dies quietly leaving an eery silence in the car.

Mina trembles slightly. Nayeon wraps her arms around her that bit tighter to offer comfort.

"How long until we reach the safehouse?" Dahyun swallows thickly.

Tzuyu's voice quavers, "About two hours."

Nobody speaks for a while.

"I don't think it's wise to go to the safe-house. We should directly go to the Hospital." Aera breaks the heavy silence.

"Your boyfriend is in that house." Chaeyoung reminds her.

"Ex boyfriend." Aera spits out.

"And my future girlfriend." Dahyun sniffs.

"What??" The girls chorus.

"What?!!" Dahyun balks.

"Yoda, I'll take the wheels." Nayeon directs her words towards the taller girl behind the wheel.

They stop in a deserted lane. Nayeon presses a tender kiss to Mina's forehead which has creased with worry and opens the passenger side of the door.

She quickly check the surroundings for the undead before swapping seats with Tzuyu.

"Everyone put your seatbelts on." Nayeon demands.

Aera rolls her eyes. "Whatever Lewis Hamilton." She scoffs.

They reach the safe house in an hour.

Nayeon smirks when Aera gets off the car with a huff. She hadn't stopped screaming throughout the ride.

"Take anything you might consider a weapon." Jihyo instructs everyone when they are at the safe-house. "Wear clothes that are tough, hard to bite through. We are grabbing Archie and leaving in exactly twenty minutes."

The crowd nods in silent agreement and depart to their respective rooms to get changed.

The radio snaps back to life and draws the attention of Jeongyeon, Momo and Jihyo who are the first to be back in the living room.

We have miscalculated the timing. Those affected by the virus are more aggressive and faster than usual. They will reach Busan in exactly ten minutes. Survivors remain indoors, do not leave any lights on. Do not make any noise. The weather forecast for tomorrow between 10 to 11 in the morning is rainy. It's highly advisable you travel to the Central Hospital during this hour. We repeat, stay indoors tonight. Stay alive until we reach you.

Right then, the glass of the water on the table begins to tremble as a faint tremor of the earth inform the girls that the army of the undead is nearby.

Jeongyeon wipes a thin bead of sweat that drops down the side of her head and looks at Jihyo and Momo. "This is like that scene from Jurassic Park." She jokes nervously.

"We should get everyone to the living room." Jihyo shakes herself out of her stupor.

Jeongyeon throws the door open to Nayeon's room and drags Nayeon by her hoodie away from Mina who's pinned against the wall. "Jihyo said we leave in twenty minutes and this is what you do."

Nayeon whines, "I was just comforting her."

Mina quickly tugs down her bra under her shirt and blushes furiously.

Jeongyeon swats at Nayeon's injured arm. "It's very cute you're comforting her with your mouth on her tits but there's an emergency. Let's go."

Tzuyu and Sana are the last ones to arrive with a confused expression on their faces. Behind them Momo bounces down the stairs.

"Can someone explain why Momo keeps insisting there are dinosaurs coming to bite our heads off?" Tzuyu crosses her arms and raises a questioning eyebrow.

Jeongyeon smiles sheepishly and lifts her shoulder in an apologetic shrug. That's explanation enough for Tzuyu.

Jihyo tells everyone about the latest development.

"I'm scared." Jihyun sobs when Jihyo finishes. She hides her face in her brother's chest who looks petrified himself.

Nayeon shifts closer to the child and lays a comforting hand on her shoulder. When the child looks at her, she strokes her cheek tenderly and says with confidence, "Look at me Jihyun. I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you or Kyong ok."

"Promise?" She sniffles.

"Pinky promise." Nayeon says reassuringly and the child jumps into her lap, looping her arms behind her neck.

Mina's heart swells with love for the older girl.

As if she senses her eyes on her, Nayeon holds the sobbing child in one arm and pulls Mina into her side with the other.

Jeongyeon turns off the generator that's providing them with electricity and the house plunges into darkness.

The tremor becomes stronger and stronger with every passing second. The waiting game begins.