Chapter 9

Nayeon glances at the sun low enough to touch the top of the buildings. It's only ten in the morning but they need to be back in the safe house before it gets dark because the zombies are more aggressive at night.

She scrunches her nose at the stench of rot. Partially eaten bodies are decomposing in the streets, vehicles are abandoned everywhere, shops are vandalized and empty.

Nayeon drives past the lurkers expertly and comes to stop in the middle of a quiet road.

"It's not broken into yet." Nayeon points at a supermarket. "We might find supplies here."

"We need a plan." Tzuyu whispers. "I'll keep guard here while you check the supermarket for the creepers."

Tzuyu begins to explain her plan down to minute detail.

A few moments later, she begins to scream when Nayeon drives the car through the glass doors of the supermarket.

Once they're inside their feet land loudly on the cement slabs that are splattered with dark stains of blood.

"Find the button to the shutter." Nayeon states when she sees the undead lurking in the street snap their attention to the noise.

Tzuyu gets the shutter down just in time to keep them out.

They don't bother keeping quiet, there's no point tiptoeing. Once the zombies inside the supermarket smell their fresh blood they're going to come after them anyway. They want to go for them and take them down instead of waiting for them to attack from behind.

The aisles are mostly empty and quiet but they don't let their guard down because the blood stains on the walls and shelves tells them the zombies are here.

The lights are off, except for the emergency lights that's casting creepy shadows.

They come to a dead stop when they find a lurker, hunched over, feeding from a corpse. The soft squelching noises makes Tzuyu wants to gag.

He growls when he hears their footsteps and hisses.

"Breakfast time over buddy." Nayeon snaps his head, twisting it in her arms.

At the sound of his painful growl, two zombies lurking on the ground floor, look up from their feeding. They let out a blood curling scream as they rush towards where the smell of flesh is coming from.

Tzuyu and Nayeon's eyes meet in a determined gaze.

"Time to Twice." They share a fist bump.

A zombie pounces on Nayeon, trying to gnaw the back of her head. She manages to get a hand on his neck before he sinks his teeth into her and throws him over her shoulders, grinning satisfactorily when his back crashes to the cemented floor.

Tzuyu side steps the one that's trying to grab her arms and winces lightly when the axe she spins chops his head entirely off, splattering more blood onto the stained floor.

"You all right?" Nayeon's eyes rest on hers with worry.

Tzuyu sighs. "Just feeling queasy at all this blood."

Nayeon nods in understanding. Sure they're able to kick arse, but the sight of slimy blood is always going to make any normal human gag.

She pats Tzuyu's back as she doubles over trying to gather herself. The stench of blood in the air is making a bile rise to her throat. "Let's clear the first floor and get the fuck out of here."

Tzuyu straightens up and wipes the sweat dripping down her face with the back of her hand.

More growling noises come from the first floor as they climb the darkened stairs. Soon one zombie comes shuffling into their view and then another.

Tzuyu sinks her axe into a lurker's head, the quickest way to kill them and Nayeon pushes the second one down the flight of stairs. When he gets back up again, she puts one of her hand on the railing, other on the wall, lifting herself up and kicks his head into the concrete behind him.

A woman runs towards them as they step into the first floor, the unmistakable red in her eyes, and blood dripping from her mouth confirming that she's no longer human, and Nayeon turns her bat around, plunging it into its eye and swirls it around killing its brain. The zombie crumples to the floor with a hole neatly in its socket where the eye used to be.

Tzuyu finds another lurker and throws her axe at him when he growls at her, ready to run towards her. The axe lands right in between his eyes. He drops dead to the floor.

Ten minutes later, 50 cent's Candy shop is playing loudly from the SUV as Tzuyu and Nayeon casually stroll around the supermarket, dumping everything that's on the list and not on the list into a trolley.