6

Kian huffs in frustration after scouring his kitchen cupboards for food and finding nothing suitable for Kiara

He makes his way over to the two on the sofa and his eyes soften once he sees them cozying up together.

"You could have taken her hat and coat off Rowan." Kian chastises upon seeing Kiara still wearing her teddy coat and bobble hat.

"Oh...yeh." Rowan replies, only just remembering that she'd need help doing it.

Responsible one or not, he still isn't used to being around children so small.

Maybe if they had both watched her grow up from being a baby they'd have a better understanding of how independent she is and the things she needs help doing.

But since they've been handed the child out of the blue they needed to really learn what stages she's at in every aspect of her development.

"There's nothing for her to eat. We'll have to order something for now and do a food shop soon." Kian complains, crouching down infront of Kiara who's face lights up seeing her dad.

He smiles at his daughter after realising how moody he's sounding whilst taking off her hat and coat, draping them over the sofa behind her.

Rowan turns to the little girl by his side and picks up one of her tiny hands, mentally cooing after realising how soft they are.

He strokes the back of her hand with his thumb to gain her attention and begins to speak once her attention is on him.

"What's your favourite food munchkin?" Rowan queries.

"Emmm..." Kiara points a finger to her chin in thought.

To anyone else it's a normal thing to ask but in her three year old mind it's the most important question she's ever been asked.

She can't make the decision lightly.

"Pancakes." The child declares, grinning from ear to ear at the thought of the delicious food.

Kian flashes a small smile in response and shrugs his shoulders.

"Well okay but-"

"Kian!" Rowan hisses, interrupting his brother before he can make any promises to the little girl.

"You can't give her pancakes. She needs to eat something proper."

Rowan lectures the child's father, tilting his head with a knowing look in a warning to stop him getting any stupid ideas.