15

Alongside the letter falls a small, rectangular black and white photo, fluttering onto the carpet by Kian's knee

He leaves it be for the moment, too eager to read the words meant for him and him only.

The pictures will be there waiting to coax out more of his tears once he finds out if Lucy predicted his questions and provided him with answers.

But once again he hesitated.

Once he reads these letters, that's it.

Lucy will be gone forever. Silent forever.

It's like watching a tv series for the first time. You can re-watch it or re-read it in this case, but it'll never be the same.

That lively spark will be missing or in Lucy's case, her presence, her life will be missing.

So right then and there, Kian decides to savour each letter and wait at the very least one day before reading a new one.

That way it's like she's still there.

He can pretend he's reading a new text message or email from her each day whilst also working on his relationship with his daughter.

Kian completely dismisses any thoughts concerning how he'll feel once he reads the last ever letter, because he knows it's going to sting.

Will it be like his parents deaths all over again? Receiving no closure at all and having their last encounter be as ordinary as the ones before it? Will the pain slowly intensify with time as you realise that that person is truly gone for good?

Or will it be entirely different? A goodbye that suggests she knew what was coming her way.

The letters suggest she did.

All perfectly organised and numbered. Hidden underneath his daughter's most sentimental items.

When these suspicions became too much to handle, Kian pulled open the letter, ripping off the metaphorical plaster, and became heart breakingly immersed in her honest truth.

Kian Wiley...

Where do I start?

Three years ago when I started writing these letters to you I knew I was never going to send them.

But now I have a plan and if it all goes according, you will actually be reading them. That's why I'm going to explain these few important things to you now before I take you along with me on the journey of how our beautiful little girl came to be.

It's not that I was selfish enough to think you never deserved to learn you have a damn child out there in the world...(and the most amazing, caring and funny one at that.)