Chapter 1: Introduction

"If we have to spend one more class watching Mr. Phillips staring at Prissy I'm going to go insane," I groaned as we walked.
"You're making me wish I hadn't come back," Gilbert said, giving his signature eyebrow raise.
I laughed, and we headed into the school building, hanging up our stuff.
"GILBERT!"
I looked up, watching as our whole class completely bombarded my brother, who'd recently returned from his travels.
I sat down in my usual spot next to Ruby, sighing.
"Where's Anne?" I questioned, not sure where the bright red haired girl could be.
"I don't know. She was here yesterday, so I doubt she's sick," Diana said, and we watched as Ruby smiled at Gil, welcoming him home.
"And where's Cole? Is everyone just gone today?" I asked, wondering where one of my best friends was.
"He might just be late," Diana suggested. I shrugged.
"Children! I know you're very happy to see your classmate again, but we still have a lesson, please open your readers," Mr. Phillips said, cleaning the blackboard.
I got out the book, and Gilbert gave me an annoyed look.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name's (Y/N) Blythe, Gilbert's younger sister by about a year.
Needless to say, I'm tired of half of my class swooning over him. Though, perhaps good looks ran in the family, since most of the boys seemed to like me. And, that's not me flattering myself, I am genuinely serious when I tell you that multiple love notes end up on my desk every week.
It's somewhat annoying, if I'm honest. I have no clue why, but none of them seem to catch my attention. Except for Cole.
Well, he's good looking to be fair, but he's a brother to me, almost as much as Gilbert is. He's an artist like I am, I appreciate having somebody to talk to in that aspect.
I guess, from the outside all of the boys in our class see my pretty face and like it. I think only a few of them understand what I'm actually like.
The day dragged on, and eventually school ended. I sighed as Gilbert and I walked home.
"When do you think Anne is gonna come back? You know, since she wasn't here today," He asked, holding both of our bags.
"Why do you ask?" I said, raising a suggestive eyebrow at him.
"I miss the competition, don't get any other ideas," he pushed. I still smirked at him, but he chuckled and shook his head.
"Mhm sure. I completely believe you," I teased as we walked home.
"Hey Bash," Gil said as we got inside, removing all our winter clothes.
"Ah finally, I've been sitting around just trying to get this stove to work all day," he said, not used to the cold weather. I laughed, going upstairs to my room. I looked over all my things, which were now dusty.
During the time Gilbert had left, I'd stayed with Diana's family. It was nice to be home. Just weird without our father.
—————
I yawned as I woke up, looking through my closet and sighing. I'd need new dresses, practically none of these fit me anymore. 
I grabbed one that wasn't too small and slipped it on, grabbing my coats before brushing my hair, grabbing my hat and running downstairs.
"Gillllbertttttt," I dragged out, seeing him eating breakfast.
"Yesss?" He asked, looking up from his medical book.
"Can I have some money? None of my dresses fit me anymore. I don't need too much, since I have some at Diana's house but-"
"Oh yeah sure. Grab some clothes for Bash too, he desperately needs some more winter clothes," he said, getting up and grabbing some coins from the cabinet, handing them to me.
I thanked him, putting them in a small bag and shoving them in my pocket.
We headed to school, rambling about certain subjects.
"What do you mean Canadian history is boring?" He glared over at me.
"I don't know. I guess American history just sounds cooler. Like George Washington surprising the British on Christmas morning. The rivalry between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson in the election of 1800," I listed, thinking about subjects that I'd found interesting in the books in Diana's library.
"If you say so," he said, laughing.
We headed into the school building, and again the boys were eager to ask Gilbert questions, as if they hadn't gotten enough time at lunch the previous day.
I noticed Cole this time however, and I squealed, hugging him and laughing.
"Where were you?" I asked, brushing off his jacket.
"My parents needed a little extra help yesterday, but thankfully I got to come to school today," he said, and I smiled.
"How's your wrist, by the way?" I asked, seeing he no longer needed the bandages.
"It's getting there. I still can't draw though," he said, giving me a solemn look. I furrowed my eyebrows with concern, gently taking my hand in his.
Suddenly, someone pushed through a big crowd of kids, and I looked over to see Anne, her hair as short as a boys. My eyes went wide, and I turned to Gilbert, noticing the romantic eye contact they were making.
"Hey," he said softly.
"There's no gold."
"I heard. That's not why I'm back though," he said, nodding.
I nearly vomited at the mood they'd just set. For once, I was actually thankful Mr. Phillips was so annoying.
"Children, seats. Ah, it seems we have a new boy in class," he teased. I noticed the look of anger on Gilbert's face as most of the kids laughed.
I put a reassuring hand on Anne's shoulder, and she looked back, smiling sadly at me for a moment.
I wondered what had happened.
—————
"Hair dye? Jeez, that doesn't sound good," I said, and Diana, Ruby and the rest of the girls seemed just as surprised.
We all chatted for a while, and I suddenly remembered.
"Oh! Diana, can I walk home with you today?" I asked.
"Walk home with her? Seems we've gained two new boys," Josie insulted. I felt my cheeks heat.
"N-No not like t-that I- I uh, I need to pick up my dresses," I stuttered, embarrassed.
"Oh yes of course. I have all your other stuff too," she said with a soft smile. I nodded, looking down at my hands.
The day passed quickly, and I sighed as we arrived at the Barry Estate.
We went upstairs, and I grabbed the suitcase Diana had packed everything into.
"Oh! Before I forget, Aunt Josephine is hosting a spring party, I was wondering if you wanted to come with Anne and I, we already convinced Cole to chaperone us," she said, smiling.
"Oh, sure! That sounds like fun, and I miss Aunt Josephine. I'll ask Gilbert, he shouldn't have any problems with it," I said, and she nodded, smiling.
I walked home, sighing and switching the suitcase from hand to hand so my arms wouldn't get too tired.
I opened both doors, heading inside and heaving out as I dropped the case, removing my coat and scarf, along with my hat.
"Jeez, are you ok?" Gilbert asked, currently cooking something up for dinner.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just tired from carrying this thing," I complained, lugging it upstairs into my room, unpacking its contents.
Gil called out that dinner was ready, and I hurried downstairs, seeing Bash already serving himself.
"By the way (Y/N), all three of us have been invited to Christmas dinner with the Cuthberts," he said as we all sat down, digging in.
"Oh, nice. I'll make sure to get a dress for the occasion," I said, mentally noting it to myself.
"Oh, and speaking of which, is it alright if I go to Josephine Barry's party?" I asked, smiling at him.
"I don't see why not. Sounds fun. If Bash and I weren't so busy with the fence I'd-"
"It's ok, Gil, I know," I said, giving a sympathetic look and finishing my dinner.
I went back upstairs after we were finished, glad it was a Friday.
Tomorrow we'd be seeing the Christmas Pantomime, and after that we'd head back with the Cuthberts for dinner. I was fairly excited. There was never any harm in seeing friends and family.
While Anne wasn't my closest friend, I liked how much more forward thinking and open minded she was than the rest of Avonlea.
Gilbert and I were lucky that our parents raised us to be so forward thinking.
I slipped into bed, looking out the window. I had been on the painting crew with Cole, so luckily, I wouldn't have to take place in any of that.
I felt my eyes close. I wondered how the day would go.