Chapter 11: The Funeral

It was so quiet.

So, so unnerving and quiet.

Mary was gone. We had nothing left.

I found more days than not I'd go riding to avoid the silence. At least the birds still chirped without her.

I was sitting in the train next to Anne, alone with my thoughts.

The four of us were headed to Charlottetown this weekend. I was going to tutor Ka'kwet, and Bash was going to make arrangements for the funeral and deliver the news to her friend.

We arrived, and I made my way to where I'd seen the natives last time.

"Hello," I said to them. They greeted me, and we made our way back to the village.

"Oh wow," I said, seeing all the people and children, everyone doing something.

Ka'kwet and I went to sit down, and I reached out my hand.

"My name's (Y/N)," I said, and she shook it.

"Ka'kwet," she said shyly. I smiled.

"You have very interesting names," I said, noting how strange all of their names sounded.

"They have meanings. Your names are strange," she said, laughing. I smiled.

"You seem to already know a lot of English," I said, and she nodded.

"A good amount, but I'd like to learn to read it too," she said. I nodded, grabbing a stick and drawing out the alphabet.

"A, like an apple," I explained. She listened intently, and I showed her what each letter looked like and how it was pronounced.

It was nice, being able to take my mind off of Mary. Hours must've gone by as we got to know each other, and I got to learn a bit about their culture too.

Once I was done I went to see Dr. Ward. I was shocked when I learned about what had happened between Bash and Elijah.

Everything felt so out of place.

—————

I shook, trying not to cry.

The minister read the prayer, and I clamped my hands together, trying not to sob out.

"I will fear no evil, for thou art with me," he recited.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and my chin quivered.

The minister finished, and I broke down. Mary was the only woman I'd had since I was a little girl. Nothing was like her laughing or her advice. The smell of her cooking.

My body racked as tears streamed, and I felt a hand on my back.

I turned, falling into Gilbert's arms, sobbing out.

"I know, I know," he said, holding me.

I felt his hand stroke my hair, and I held onto him. Gil was the only family I'd had my whole life. The only person I hadn't met or lost.

Even when I did lose him, he always came back.

Bash stayed by the grave for 30 minutes after everyone else.

I sat alone, outside. I'd let Gilbert thank everyone for coming. He was much better at hiding his emotions.

"I figured I'd find you out here. You always seem desperate to avoid people."

I turned back, seeing Miss Stacy.

"And yet I'm always desperate for your company," I said softly, and she managed the best smile that one possibly could after attending a funeral like that. She sat beside me.